Electrical outlet wrapped in electrical tape

I was looking at the bathrooms in my parents home, trying to see how the outlets were set up. Even in older parts of the home, the bathrooms have GFCI outlets that I recall were installed back when they had them remodeled. I tried a GFCI/grounding tester on them, which shows up normal grounded. I suppose their contractor had access inside the walls and must have added a grounding wire to make it up to code at the time. Not sure what the contractor did, as I’d think they didn’t add a ground wire (or rewire) to the breaker. It was also in blue plastic gang boxes, while most of the original parts of the home have metal boxes.

However, I looked inside and saw that someone had wrapped up the perimeter of the GFCI innards with black electrical tape, where it covered up the screws more or less. I’ve never seen anything quite like it before. I suppose the rationale was to make it less susceptible to electrocution if something happened such as the wall plate fell off.

I did a little research and apparently some electricians did this with GFCI outlets that were mounted in metal boxes, just in case the screws touched the metal. Doesn’t make sense for a plastic box.

I installed a gfci in my son's house and didn't screw in an unused side screw and it shorted in a tight metal box. Screwed in tight and taped up the sides and reset the breaker and all is good. Maybe some electricians/diyers tape up the sides as a matter of habit and don't mind the material the box is made of.

Last edited:
Same here - I have seen some electricians wrap tape around the receptacle. Electrician installed GFCI in our old bathroom without a ground wire - I was surprised that they work without a ground wire. Go figure.

Same here - I have seen some electricians wrap tape around the receptacle. Electrician installed GFCI in our old bathroom without a ground wire - I was surprised that they work without a ground wire. Go figure.
That's the way to convert an old two prong receptacle to handle a 3 prong plug.

I've seen it as well, not just GFIs. There are some things out there that aren't code but some in the trade think are best practice. I have an electrician friend that insists receptacles should be mounted neutral or ground up in the event something metal falls down and gets wedged between a plug and the receptacle. I tell him he's nuts and it sets him off. 🤣

Seen it done. No idea if it's to code, but I tend to think, it's from someone trying to be over the top on protection.

Not sure it hurts anything. But I don't bother, don't see the reason--you remove the cover, you're your own warranty.

I've seen it as well, not just GFIs. There are some things out there that aren't code but some in the trade think are best practice. I have an electrician friend that insists receptacles should be mounted neutral or ground up in the event something metal falls down and gets wedged between a plug and the receptacle. I tell him he's nuts and it sets him off. 🤣
When I did some wiring recently I put all the outlets in "correct", with regular faces. I didn't want to look at anybody upside down. That's just weird.

If you're routinely dropping things down a wall that might short out an outlet, you probably have bigger issues in life than how you install outlets. Just sayin'.

Romex cable used in residential wiring has a bare copper ground. Wrapping tape around the receptacle to cover the terminals prevents the ground wire from coming in contact with the hot terminal when you push the wires and receptacle into the box. It's aggravating when you install one receptacle and you have to pull it out and reinstall it because it tripped the breaker, when you install 10 receptacles on a circuit and the breaker trips you realize that it would be easier being proactive instead of reactive.

Some old time electricians did this and trained their staff to do this. Newer electricians are likely to use back stabs and cheapest method as possible, and will forego the electrical tape.

Electrical tape is EXPENSIVE now. It’s 10 times the cost it was 20 years ago.

I understand it’s up to code to install a GFCI outlet in an ungrounded outlet, although it supposedly doesn’t allow a surge protector to work properly. But it will still help with shock protection, even without being grounded. But to be up to code it requires a sticker be placed on the wall plate that notes it’s not connected to ground. I think it’s supposed to be for stuff like surge protectors that need a ground connection to provide that protection.

wKCQM.jpg

I was thinking about ungrounded GFCI when my parents’ tenant was asking about it. There was a broken 2-prong outlet, and I wanted to just install a 2-prong outlet to replace it where there’s no doubt it’s ungrounded. The tenants would prefer grounded outlets but do understand the costs of ripping out the walls to redo the wiring would be prohibitive. So we’ve ordered a 12-pack of GFCI outlets to replace a bunch in the house at their request. I guess it’s a reasonable accommodation when ripping open the walls might be impractical. I’ve installed a few GFCI outlets for aquarium fish setups where there was the potential for equipment to get wet - especially heaters.

I also found what’s left of 14 gauge 3-wire Romex in their garage. It’s labeled as 250’, but looks like only a fraction was used. It’s probably over 25 years old but looks like it could still be installed today.

As for the electrical tape, it was pulled taut and never actually touches the screws. I’m thinking of installing an older Eagle GFCI outlet that’s in good shape. It’s got a label over the downstream (output) screws for daisy chaining. However, when I saw a remodel done before the drywall was in place, I saw an electrician pulled a line to each outlet rather than chaining them together.

Around here (SoCal) the switched outlets in bedrooms are installed "upside down" so as to easily find them.

I was thinking about ungrounded GFCI when my parents’ tenant was asking about it. There was a broken 2-prong outlet, and I wanted to just install a 2-prong outlet to replace it where there’s no doubt it’s ungrounded. The tenants would prefer grounded outlets but do understand the costs of ripping out the walls to redo the wiring would be prohibitive. So we’ve ordered a 12-pack of GFCI outlets to replace a bunch in the house at their request. I guess it’s a reasonable accommodation when ripping open the walls might be impractical. I’ve installed a few GFCI outlets for aquarium fish setups where there was the potential for equipment to get wet - especially heaters.

So I picked up the 12-pack of GFCI outlets ordered from Amazon and delivered to a locker (darn you to heck porch pirates). They’re a bit different. I suppose they already thought of protecting the side terminals, where each one comes with two plastic clips that snap in and cover the screw terminals to prevent contact with a metal box. Might not protect against a bunched up ground wire though. The terminals also have a pressure plate for straight wire clamping, with the screw over the pressure plate. My understanding is that this style should be as good as using a loop around the screw, as it’s not a push-in backstab connection that only works if it doesn’t weaken over time, in addition to backstab providing poor contact.

The only stickers in the package say “GFCI PROTECTED OUTLET”. Nothing indicating there’s no equipment ground to make it up to code. The instructions hint that it’s OK to install without a ground, but doesn't say anything about noting it. I’ve got a Brother P-Touch and I’m just going to print out “NO EQUIPMENT GROUND” on a bunch of labels.

you should look for any bootleg grounds. they will show up a good on a plug in tester. ungrounded outlets seem to be common up to the late 60's .

i have seen many house for sale that have bootleg grounds. this tricks the inspectors tester .

Back