Electrical Motor wadding

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I use to hold 3n1 oil around a bronze bushing in an electrical motor?

I recently pulled a 7 year old motor to troubleshoot a related issue. During cleaning, I noticed that the grease had the consistency of earwax and replaced the grease. However, in researching it I found this thread which made me realize that I probably should have just added more oil and left it at that.

I've cleaned out the grease, packed the area with cotton, and then soaked the cotton in 3n1 oil. While waiting on a part of the original problem I've been running the motor to work the oil in. Once I finish putting this back together and reinstalling it; I'm probably not going to get a chance to do a follow up inspection unless the motor destroys itself.

Is cotton a reasonable packing for this? Any other tips?

I used a 12 ounce soup can full of ATF to soak the bushings on a Bosch blower motor. This one had felt washers to hold oil > a quick evaluation is to take an amp draw reading before and after your lube job. The electric cooling fans in my BMWs dropped by an amp or 2 after I repacked the bearing and soaked the bushing in a capful of ATF

I just thought they were some type cotton or felt like said. A few HVAC guys I've worked with would recommend non detergent SAE30 for oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back