Oil, grease, Krytox for 3D printer leadscrews

I just bought two nice, clean, new leadscrews (8mm x 3mm acme with bronze nuts).

I tend to prefer oil on things like lathe leadscrews...my usual theory that is that way oil washes off dirt, but grease tends to accumulate it. The difference here is I don't want to be applying enough oil to my 3D printer to "wash it clean". This is probably when in the semiconductor cleanroom we use a special kind of grease on all the leadscrews, but I don't know what exactly it is and can't "borrow" any...

I would like to use some type of grease that is very clean and lasts a very long time so I don't have to re-apply it. I hear that Krytox grease is the best. But when I searched I found there a many types of Krytox. And maybe that would be overkill anyway...

For most 3D printers, this is out of the mouth of Joseph Prusa:

Lead screw and trapezoidal nut don't need any lubrification. In fact the trapezoidal nut is made of POM, a very low friction plastic. This material is resistant and "self-lubricating" due to the low friction coefficient but grease/lubricant may become sticky.
Also mind that the Z axis is not subject to fast movements, hence wearing and friction should be very little there.
In case of friction opposing the trapezoidal nut rotation, the trapezoidal nut may have been inserted not well aligned and may have deformed as a consequence.

A very light coating of grease or oil just to keep it from rusting or sticking. What you pick doesn't matter

I use white lithium grease

Back