Ecore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is all this talk about score filters? I quick search didn't turn up many answers but the jest I get is that they are some form of pressed filter element? Clearly there is some debate but are they really that terrible and how do I avoid them?

The Ecore filter is a design from Champion Labs that uses the anti-drainback valve as a bypass as well. They feature a plastic cage on the inside of the filter, rather than the perforated metal tube we're used to. The ones that have a bypass use kind of an extended nitrile adbv that will flex and allow oil to bypass when the differential pressure is too great.

I don't see how it's possible to calibrate a nitrile adbv/bypass to the various differential pressures that the auto manufacturers require, and there's the fact that nitrile is known to harden over time. The filter element is sealed with thin fiber endcaps.

The only way I've found to avoid them is to know what they look like from the base plate end. STP, AC/Delco, Microgard, Champ, SuperTech and many others are using ecores. Sometimes the line will feature mostly ecores with some conventional filters.

When shopping, turn the filters over, and if you see a plastic cage inside, replace it on the shelf and move along. You do not want to buy any ecores, period.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Link to list of ecore threads on BITOG

That pretty much sums up Ecore filters ... you can read about them for a week - about 15,200 results.

My answer was in this thread:
smile.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2534728

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I would take an ecore over a Fram orange can.

Interesting. I'm the opposite, if I had the choice between the two, OCOD would be getting used.

Originally Posted By: RamFan

Interesting. I'm the opposite, if I had the choice between the two, OCOD would be getting used.

Me too, the ecore has the feature most Fram hater's can't stand (flimsy media caps) but they are much worse than Fram's in both strength and adhesion. Then you can add a plastic center cage instead of a steel tube, media that flattens and blows out through the cage into the engine, and a "combo" ADBV/Bypass valve that doesn't work well or at all. Quite a deal those ecores, but at least they are not orange, eh?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: RamFan

Me too, the ecore has the feature most Fram hater's can't stand (flimsy media caps) but they are much worse than Fram's in both strength and adhesion. Then you can add a plastic center cage instead of a steel tube, media that flattens and blows out through the cage into the engine, and a "combo" ADBV/Bypass valve that doesn't work well or at all. Quite a deal those ecores, but at least they are not orange, eh?

Ok - all good points. But between these two poor choices, the eCore usually has the better filter media so that would steer me in the ecore direction.

Should lack of proper support cause that better media to tear open it suddenly becomes worthless media.

I have cut open four ecores, two of them had the dreaded square hole. I think the problem is not the center tube per se, just a lack of media. If an ecore had tightly packed pleats I don't think there would be an issue.

This of course still doesn't address the combo valve, which I don't like, either.

I will continue to stay away from ecores.

To each his own, but I'm not sure it is "better" media either. The orange can is rated at 95%, the ecores at 96% efficiency, but I can find a lot more pictures of blown or torn media on here for ecores than I can orange cans.

But to each his own, part of what makes BITOG so fun.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Should lack of proper support cause that better media to tear open it suddenly becomes worthless media.

Exactly ... when the media blows out then the efficiency goes to 0% @ 20 microns.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: yonyon

Exactly ... when the media blows out then the efficiency goes to 0% @ 20 microns.
grin.gif

But you'll get maximum flow!

Well, thank goodness we have better choices in filters so we DON'T have to decide between an ecore and a OCD!

Well, thank goodness we have better choices in filters so we DON'T have to decide between an ecore and a OCD!

X2 Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back