E85 Occasional use in FlexFuel Vehicle?

I know the '14 & up 1500's have Alcohol Content Sensors....But what I've seen on '14 & up 2500/3500 is they calculate Alcohol Content Virtually. Not that I'm 100% on a '18 model.

ALL Flex Fuel '07-'13 GMT900's used a Virtual Flex Fuel Algorithm, As did the late GMT800's, Early GMT800's used a Alcohol Content Sensor.
18 would have the ethanol content sensor. They are standard on all the 14+ trucks that were flex fuel. It takes only around a minute to get to the new ethanol concentration when I watch it on my truck when I get new fuel and have my data logging laptop with me. I added E85 capability to my 6.2L a couple years ago and have been keeping track of it every since with different concentrations of alcohol vs fuel economy. I usually get 20-30% less mpg with E85 but its been around 30-50% cheaper around here in the last couple years. The Gen V engines also make more power using E85.

I just got it for $1.85 / gallon and put it in all my vehicles.

I can say my 99 crown vic and 03 f-150 did not start well in the cold. Was like starting a diesel. The other cars acted no different.

I'm not running it to save money. I'm going to run 500-700 gallons through the truck to help provide cleaning.

It's only typically $0.30/gallon cheaper here. So it's actually a bit more expensive to run than gasoline with the drop in mpg's. But it's OK in the short term. I'm wanting to run this truck for a long time.....

I would run it as a cleaner if we had more e85 stations in Austin. It’s probably more effective than most system cleaners and cheaper too.
Availability is an issue here in Middle TN, too. There's all of 1 stations in Lebanon that sells E-85. Father-in-law used to run it when the '$/mileage drop' ratio was advantageous. He had a 2010ish Chevy 1500 at the time. Personally haven't ever owned anything set-up to run it. Though one day I want to build a motor for alcohol, but that won't be a daily.

In my neck of the woods, E85 isn’t available. We can get E15 at KwikTrip, and I run it in my F150. I actually gained about 1mi / gal in the truck. My Escape looses about 1-2 mi/gal on it. My son thinks the truck runs better because of factory tuning and boost from turbos being more consistent because it’s a heavier vehicle. Just a guess on our part.

Back