E-85 gasoline / motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a flex fuel vehicle that can burn E85? I have a van that does, but wondered if using such a high octane fuel degrades the oil much quicker? Any UOA's out there showing the effect of E85 on oil analysis? Also, is a special oil need? Or jusr run any synthetic oil?

can someone fill me in on what E85 is? i understand that essentially it means 85% ethanol in the fuel. but what exactly does that mean? what are the consequences - advantageous and non? who makes E85-compatible cars? who sells E85? etc.

AFAIK, E85 doesn't have as many BTU's as petroleum does, uses a different additive system, and also doesn't give as much MPG as petroleum. Chevy seems to have the biggest selection of flex fuel vehicles, but I'm not sure which models (I'm going by the number of those little badges I see driving 'round town).

I did ask about Honda engines/vehicles being able to use it, as I drove by a station that offered it, and of course, the 50+ cent per gallon difference peaked my interest, so I called a reputable tech that I know. He said that if I want to destroy my fuel system, then go ahead, then told me that as of now, no Honda models are set up to burn this fuel.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here with some more specifics than what I offered. I also wish that (and not to be political about it) that we would weigh whether or not this is a viable, sustainable fuel without depleting the food supply, as I have heard that by making a serious go of this fuel nation wide, that would be a result.

Well, My 2000 Dodge Caravan is set up to run E85, never have tried it yet.... I like the idea of running my van on corn, but wanted to know what effect it has on the oil. ???

It also is supposedly, like biodiesel, is supposed to shorten OCI's IIRC. By just how much, I'm not sure. What kind of intervals are you running now?

i know that in the atv scene, running e100 or e85 is a popular way to gain power, but you have to greatly increase the jet size of the carb. this means that more fuel is sucked into the combustion chamber during every intake cycle. more fuel would logically mean more fuel dilution. however ethanol has a lower boiling point compared to straight has. i think ethanol boils of at around 170 degrees, so any fuel in the oil would boil off quicker.

don't have any expierence running ethanol is a fuel injected engine though.

Quote:
AFAIK, E85 doesn't have as many BTU's as petroleum does, . . .

That's true, but E85 has a much higher octane; which allows for an engine to run on higher compression and more timing. The E85 vehicles won't adjust the compression obviously, but they will forward the timing when the computer senses the presence of E85; this makes up for the lack of BTU's.

SAM1, I think you're being a little over sensitive about the issues of fuel dilution. On a modern computer controlled vehicle such as yours, fuel dilution will be negligible or almost nonexistent. I still recommend however that you keep the short trips to a minimum and try to drive the car a little further to burn off moisture from the oil.

I have been pondering E85, even though it is not available in my area.

I have been told that using 24lb injectors, vs the stock 19lb injectors will provide enough additional fuel for the stock computer to trim the fuel map.

I am wondering what about the rest of the fuel system components, fuel pump, tank, lines, etc. Any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back