DVD Rom in laptop has choppy video playback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Please post back when you do. Also check to see if you have hardware acceleration for the video on or not. If you do, try turning it off. If you don't, try turning it on. I've had mixed results with it depending on what video card is in a particular computer.

The hardware acceleration for the video was on in the configuration for cyberlink power dvd ultra 7.3. I turned the hardware acceleration off, same results.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
You can also try to open the laptop up and cleaning the connectors. Best to try everything (hardware and software) before buying a new drive.

I bet it's filthy. I got this laptop used. I opened up the laptop a few months ago when I bought it. a caked layer of dust was blocking the fan. this laptop fan was on full blast all the time, was overheating, and shut off by itself. it's now whisper quiet.

Q-tip and alcohol on the lens. If that doesn't fix it, you may need a new drive.......

If you play a video file from the hard drive, does it play correctly?

I used q-tip and alcohol. same result. I checked the drivers for the dvd player. it's microsoft drivers. I went to toshiba to download driver for my dvd player. "ta1dvdram2.exe" when I download and install, it says this driver is not for my operating system. I'm using windows xp sp3;

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/...=665687|PSA20U#

Windows..
33.gif

Originally Posted By: punisher
My advice stands. Eliminate the obvious/easy first. No need chasing ghosts when you can take 30 seconds to look at task manager and eliminate something easy. I am in absolute agreement, a 3.0 P4 shouldn't sweat decoding a DVD, unless there are 50 other processes running at the same time or there is a cooling problem causing a throttle down..

Checked windows task manager, when dvd is playing, my cpu is at 100%!!

I had a Toshiba laptop for my job 9-10 years ago, it was a P233 or P300 with 128MB of RAM. I played DVD's just fine. CPU's shouldn't be pegged while playing back a DVD.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I had a Toshiba laptop for my job 9-10 years ago, it was a P233 or P300 with 128MB of RAM. I played DVD's just fine. CPU's shouldn't be pegged while playing back a DVD.

when I got this laptop, I removed a cake layer of dust off of the heat shrink. do you think the cpu fan is clogged of dust? or is it something else causing the CPU running at 100% when DVD plays?

I'll check when I get home. but I did a mcafee virus scan last night. didn't find anything. I have the mcafee virus suite automatically loads in the tray bar when xp boots. It's free with comcast broadband internet.

here's my specs btw
P4 3.0ghz
512 mb ram, expandable to 1 gig
80 gb HD (have 67 gigs free)
dvd-rom/cd-rw drive
trident video card

Originally Posted By: xpeteyjtx
Can you tell us the processes that are taking up the 100% CPU usage?

Degrag. your hard drive.

31 processes running. mcshield.exe is using 91k, next is firefox with 64k, explorer.exe 15k, svchost.exe 12k, mcnasvc.exe, 6960k,
everything else is 1-4k in usage.

after analyzing hard drive, pc says hard drive doesn't need to be defraged. 87% Hard drive is empty.

back the choo choo train up.
you are running XP right? And you said that you always seem to have 100% CPU usage?

When you click CTR+ALT+DEL, go to processes and look at the CPU column. What processes are utilizing the CPU?

Defrag anyway

Originally Posted By: xpeteyjtx
back the choo choo train up.
you are running XP right? And you said that you always seem to have 100% CPU usage?

When you click CTR+ALT+DEL, go to processes and look at the CPU column. What processes are utilizing the CPU?

Defrag anyway

oops, I put memory figures down. yep, xp sp3. I ran cyberlink powerdvd ultra running 88%-99% of CPU, with CPU total at 100% the whole time.

What video card is in it?

trident. not the gum
LOL.gif

I have a temporary fix, but I'm looking for a permanent solution. I changed the color quality in display settings from 32 bit to 16 bit color. I changed visual effects from "let windows choose what's best for my computer" to "adjust for best performance"
I played fred claus in my dvd player, the choppy feedback wasn't there. but I only watched for 1-2 minutes. Windows task manager reported that powerdvd was using 80-85% of my CPU instead of the 95-99% that it was doing earlier. I may watch an entire movie when I get home tonight to see. I had the malware blues last night and didn't have more time to tackle this. I'm thinking maybe a wifi hacker is slowing my laptop down. I'll know for sure later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I have a temporary fix, but I'm looking for a permanent solution. I changed the color quality in display settings from 32 bit to 16 bit color. I changed visual effects from "let windows choose what's best for my computer" to "adjust for best performance"
I played fred claus in my dvd player, the choppy feedback wasn't there. but I only watched for 1-2 minutes. Windows task manager reported that powerdvd was using 80-85% of my CPU instead of the 95-99% that it was doing earlier. I may watch an entire movie when I get home tonight to see. I had the malware blues last night and didn't have more time to tackle this. I'm thinking maybe a wifi hacker is slowing my laptop down. I'll know for sure later.

That's called your video card is [censored].

Your previous post confirmed it. Trident cards are GARBAGE.

Can you give me the model number of the card? I can see if I can find you some better drivers that MIGHT give you better playback.....

-Chris

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

That's called your video card is [censored].

Your previous post confirmed it. Trident cards are GARBAGE.

Can you give me the model number of the card? I can see if I can find you some better drivers that MIGHT give you better playback.....

-Chris

I'll get more details when I get home. here's what toshiba website says:

Graphics/Video
• 15.0” XGA TFT active-matrix display****; internal display supports
up to 16M colors at 1024 x 768
• Trident CyberBlade XP2 graphics processor; 32MB shared video
memory
External Color Support/Refresh rate:
640 x 480 60/75/85/100Hz Non-Interlaced@16M Colors
800 x 600 60/75/85/100Hz Non-Interlaced@16M Colors
1024 x 768 60/75/85/100Hz Non-Interlaced@16M Colors
1280 x 1024 60/75/85/100Hz Non-Interlaced@16M Colors
1600x 1200 60/75/85/100Hz Non-Interlaced@16M Colors
1920 x 1440 60/75Hz Non-Interlaced@16M Colors

total specs are here:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/...665687%7CPSA20U

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Trident / Jaton.

Used to buy those at computer shows for really low-end PC builds.

I'm FUBARED??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back