Dry vs wet thread locker

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Sometimes parts come with new bolts that have a thread locker compound applied to the threads. It is a dry material,for obvious reasons.

Or you can go buy loctite or other thread lockers in blue, green or red types, and it comes out as liquid that you paint on the threads.

Is there any difference? Is the dry stuff the same product just left out in the air to dry?

Is some variant better than the other?

Also, does thread locker type products serve as an anti seize too?

I have always just used the red liquid or gel type thread locker on my brake stuff. Some people I know use the blue.

Loctite brand is the brand i use and have had good luck with, it is consistent quality and predictable.
Red is high strength and usually needs to be heated to get it apart. Use on stuff you have no intention of taking apart or where the manufacturer demands it.
Some examples would be oil pump cover screws, hub to knuckle bolts, some half shaft bolts, etc.

Blue is the most common and is medium strength, it resist vibration and can be removed with normal hand tools without heating.
Applications include brake caliper bracket bolts, intake bolts, water pump and oil pan bolts, etc.

Green is a penetrating Loctite, it is used to secure already assembled fasteners and nuts and bolts not tightened to a holding toque.
Example would be blind holes and bolts holding plastic parts.

Purple is a low strength Loctite, perfect for very small screws that need to be dissembled easily but resist coming loose.
Watch bracelet screws are a example.

All act as a type of anti seize because the keep air and moisture out of the threads.
Liquid, gels and tape all perform equally well, i use the liquid or gel if i need a small drop and tape if i need to coat the whole thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back