Drove am '11 Aveo w/ 31k Miles ... Wow .. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
No way. Im always more damp with leather than cloth.

Yup, I agree. But I still prefer the feel of leather, LOL

I thought vinyl ripped rather easily? Scalding hot in the sun too.

Err, do we want to have another leather-vs-cloth debate again?

As for the Versa, I almost considered a Versa! I was going to buy the base, stripped down model with crank windows and no A/C. Couldn't find any at dealers and none would special order one for me. I did find a used one with 7K miles, but it was priced at 13000 (new, they stickered for $9990). For $1k more, I got a brand new Focus with power windows and A/C (although, they are two things I could easily do without)

The spark is a pretty neat car and I would consider a used one in a few years for bombing around going back and fourth to work, going to the gym, etc. Even though they don't have the greatest driving dynamics, I'm sure they'll be dirt cheap and I won't have to ruin a "good" car with the daily bumps and bruises.

An Aveo is still in the running ... I just though since it was the same size as the Fiesta and Sonic that it would drive as such. I drove the Fiesta and it was kind of a fun car to drive ... aside from the DCT staying in 3rd gear and redlining going 55. Hmm.

Last edited:
A modern economy car without AC is a bad idea. Defrost does not work well at all.

Also puts resale and appeal in the toilet unless you find another oddball who does not like it. However if you don't like it don't run it. I doubt it adds even $500 into the MSRP. And the effort/marketing to build cars without seems silly to appease the 2% of buyers.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Also puts resale and appeal in the toilet unless you find another oddball who does not like it.

Who cares? When my cars are done, they sit in the woods until they return to the earth. They might get hauled to the scrap yard if I think loading them on the trailer and towing them over there isn't too much trouble.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Also puts resale and appeal in the toilet unless you find another oddball who does not like it.

Who cares? When my cars are done, they sit in the woods until they return to the earth. They might get hauled to the scrap yard if I think loading them on the trailer and towing them over there isn't too much trouble.

When I buy a new anything, car or fleet truck, I buy it with the intent of keeping it FOREVER. I am genuinely disappointed if I don't get at least 200k miles out of it.

Resale is very low on my list as I am unlikely to trade it or sell it until it is so old few will want it!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Resale is very low on my list as I am unlikely to trade it or sell it until it is so old few will want it!

Resale only matters if you plan on reselling it.
Scrap value is a fixed rate per pound, regardless of resale.

Resale value matters if it gets hit or stolen! Offhand, a car with no A/C basically has a value of $0 to most people. Your $11,000 non-A/C car gets totalled when it's a year old and you get $5000 for it (and IMO, that's generous), you will care!

A/C should be standard on all new vehicles.

When I buy a new anything, car or fleet truck, I buy it with the intent of keeping it FOREVER. I am genuinely disappointed if I don't get at least 200k miles out of it.

Bare bones car are very rarely what any person wants to drive forever. Its an end to a means. Resale is a factor. Life changes can happen quite quick and bare bones economy vehicles can be outgrown easily.

I like my bare-bones vehicles (like my crank-window Cherokee), but will never buy another vehicle without air conditioning!

Bare bones car are very rarely what any person wants to drive forever. Its an end to a means. Resale is a factor. Life changes can happen quite quick and bare bones economy vehicles can be outgrown easily.

I dunno, my dads friend drove a basic Gremlin everyday for 12 years!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I dunno, my dads friend drove a basic Gremlin everyday for 12 years!

In 197X right???? I am speaking in modern times.

A friend was convinced not to trade off her decent condition 12 year old Honda Accord DX as every wants them. DX meant roll up windows and no power locks. Not sure on AC.

She said the droves folks looking all said nice car but not power windows/doors no way.....She ended up selling well below edmunds private party to some nut who did not like them as they thought they would end up in a lake and not be able to open the window or door.

I like my electric windows. But I've noticed a distinct quality difference between my VW and Camry. In the Camry the window tends to overshoot a bit; the VW stops exactly where I want it.

Then again, ever since we got EZ-pass I rarely have the window open. Hard to go wrong when it just needs to be either full up or full down. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: supton
I thought vinyl ripped rather easily? again?

Depends on which vinyl.

Vinyl from a 1976 Datsun? Yeah.... That heavy gauge vinyl that Mercedes Benz and BMW was using? No.

She ended up selling well below edmunds private party to some nut who did not like them as they thought they would end up in a lake and not be able to open the window or door.

OMG that's my Mom!!!
laugh.gif

32.gif
She parks in the garage with the stick shift in gear, e-brake on, doors locked, and the garage locked. On a flat surface.
27.gif

Back on topic, the manual crank em window regulator in my saturn is on its last, misaligned leg. "They" say economics of scale make power windows cheaper. If they're as easy to change as the ones in my MILs Lesabre, no big deal.

My truck is bare bones. No power windows or locks. Vinyl seats and rubber floors. Like the seats and floor just like that easy to clean.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
My truck is bare bones. No power windows or locks. Vinyl seats and rubber floors. Like the seats and floor just like that easy to clean.

That's one of the things I love about my dad's F350. No power windows, no power locks, rubber floor and vinyl seat! Base model work truck. Less to go wrong and easy to take care of!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back