Driving At Night

I have been thinking of upgrading just the fog light on my 21 HRV for the reasons you mention deer... I figure I will get more light on the road and since the fog lighta are lower I wont blind someone in front of me...
They will if bright enough. It's usually pretty easy to rewire to switch on anytime the key is on with a switch or the OE. I also aim mine as high as I can. I had to wire mine in from scratch on the Accent.

Reactions: hrv
In my state November is a dangerous time for night driving. The whitetails are in the rut, and the deer most likely to end up on your bumper are the big bucks, 150 pounds or more. The last two deer collisions I've experienced, the deer have literally run into the side of my car. The last one, I had a flash of a head with at least a six-point rack when things went bang.

There's also a hazard with wildlife smaller than deer. I've hit two big raccoons in the last few years that took out the front bumper covers of my E34 BMW. That was no risk to me personally, but a new valance panel runs about $700 plus paint.

In my state November is a dangerous time for night driving. The whitetails are in the rut, and the deer most likely to end up on your bumper are the big bucks, 150 pounds or more. The last two deer collisions I've experienced, the deer have literally run into the side of my car. The last one, I had a flash of a head with at least a six-point rack when things went bang.

There's also a hazard with wildlife smaller than deer. I've hit two big raccoons in the last few years that took out the front bumper covers of my E34 BMW. That was no risk to me personally, but a new valance panel runs about $700 plus paint.
Same here in Kentucky....

Twice I have had deer run into my front passenger side fender. And a 40 lb coon tore up the bumper cover and fender liner on the Accent a few years ago.

Have had 2 deer so far . Lastime over 6K in damage . Not happy:mad:

Two months before I went completely blind in my left eye 20/1000… I had an eye test done and I was 20/20 in my left eye and 20/10 in my right eye. I read every single letter on the smallest bottom line of that eye chart that day,.. Took that young lady by surprise.
Sorry to hear of your partial blindness.
I can relate, blind from birth in my right eye. (Amblyopia) 20/800 on a good day. I recently had left eye cataract surgery and post surgery was a revelation. To be 20/20 at 68 years old.

Best of luck holding on to the one eye that works.
From about the age of 10, I realized I was just one nasty accident away from blindness.

fat biker

I have been thinking of upgrading just the fog light on my 21 HRV for the reasons you mention deer... I figure I will get more light on the road and since the fog lighta are lower I wont blind someone in front of me...
If you put brighter lights in the fogs then you have to stop using them with oncoming traffic. I rewire so they can come on any time and raise the aim as high as I can get it.

I prefer driving at night, but the blue-ish light in modern headlights does interfere with my vision. I too find they have more or more obtrusive glare than halogen or even HID lights. To the point that you confuse their dipped beam with high bream at times.
The issue that I see are way too many yutzs with their drl's on but no headlights. It can't be that difficult to realize your headlights aren't on.

My mid 50's passenger princess wife is going for cataract surgery in one eye this Thursday and the other Monday. Perfectly health, slight family history, on no prescriptions, and ran a marathon last weekend. She's been struggling to see with even her glasses. She's getting UV adjustable implants. Pretty amazing stuff. Should be dialed in and set after a couple of appointments then locked in. Driving at dusk and night has been an issue for her for a bit. Hoping for a big improvement for $3,400 per eye. Supposedly she won't need readers.

I'm slightly older than her and mostly good. I need readers but no glasses. Dusk is more of an issue for me than dark driving. For some reason backlit or in the light looking onto the dark is a lot harder than it used to be. Working on anything close requires light and 2.5 readers.

A few years ago the Ford F150 came out with a all LED lighting package. The LEDs are really bad for me and when one of them came along I almost had to pull over as I could not see anything from the approaching glare. They don't seem so bad now.

My vision is -11. Wear RPG lenses which stopped detirioration of vision (soft lenses couldn’t ).
I drive a lot. I drive in winter in during a nught a lot coming back from skiing. Lights! It is all about lights. When I was searching for BMW 3 series 1st priority was that car has HiD lights! I didn’t car what else it had, no HiD, no purchase.
One if the reasons I got rid of Toyota Sienna were absolutely horrible lights. Every time we had to drive at night, we would take wife’s Tiguan which has HiD and somehow I yet to drive vehicle that has such good lights. My BMW has HiD, X5 I had before had HiD, Atlas has really good LED’s, but her Tiguan somehow has seriously well executed lights. It is really joy to drive it at night. No issues whatsoever.

Back