Driving At Night

Last night I had to drive in the dark. I try to avoid this.

If you are
Anybody else uneasy driving at night?

1696541667927.jpg

Senior Perspective

I’m not but my wife is. She says she doesn’t like driving on roads that don’t have painted lines at night. She says she feels safer when she can see the lines.

I had this discussion with some family members about this just last week.

My parents (mid 70s) can’t drive at night. My brother (early 50s) can’t either, nor can my ex, early 40s.

I have no issues at all and did not realize how lucky I was, apparently. Really serious issue for a lot of people. I believe if I had the same issue, I’d have some real anxiety and frustration at it.

I see the ophthalmologist every six months. He hasn't said anything about cataracts. Driving at night in the rain is more of a challenge than it used to be dealing with the oncoming headlights throwing light. I know that I have some issue because a red dot sight is not a dot but more of a star.

I don't have issues, but I also try to follow a low sugar/processed carb diet since I started bodybuilding in my mid 20s.
Mind you, I also wear glasses since I was 5, with the same prescription since I was in my late 20's.

I have a friend who's quite thirsty (he consumes at least a couple beers a day).
He complains of driving at night. I think his beverage of choice is partially to blame, but who am I to judge.
🤷‍♂️

Not there - yet. Not as easy as it was, for aure.

But I couldn’t drive home from work in winter if I really had an issue with it.

I see the ophthalmologist every six months. He hasn't said anything about cataracts. Driving at night in the rain is more of a challenge than it used to be dealing with the oncoming headlights throwing light. I know that I have some issue because a red dot sight is not a dot but more of a star.

Interesting; I have enough of an astigmatism that an RDS is indeed the classic “bunch of grapes.” But with my glasses on it it’s fine and 0 issues at night. Do you wear glasses at all, or you have an astigmatism but do not correct your vission?

Glaucoma can result in seeing halos around lights. I've been treated for glaucoma twice, once about ten years ago and again early this year. Fortunately, I was successfully treated before there was a loss of vision. No more halos and my night vision is very good.

I love driving at night. There are simply fewer distractions. At 47 I got owl vision. No presbyopia either. I can focus my eyes as close as 2.5 inches. I always mock my buddy who has to wear cheaters to find the food on his plate. I'm a bastard. 🤣

How to avoid cataracts that can happen as early as in your 40s: wear sunglasses from a young age, avoid UV light sources, proper nutrition, don't smoke, limit alcohol, avoid oral steroid medications, at all costs, avoid getting glaucoma because glaucoma easily causes cataracts. How to avoid presbyopia: luck out in the genetics department, do eye exercises (near-far focusing exercises)

Stop using your foglights and use only your low beams when the road is wet. The wet road in front of your car turns into a mirror.

Last edited:
Around here, driving at light is interesting due to two completely different approaches to streetlighting:

1)The City of Manassas approach: Light it up like a football stadium with the brightest LED lights on the market (and then don't bother to replace them when they fail and turn bluish/purple).

2)The VDOT approach (VDOT maintains all roads not in cities): The absolute bare minimum streetlighting. 6-lane commercial/retail strip road? No lighting except maybe at intersections. I66/I81 interchange? No lighting either. Rural roads MIGHT get a streetlight at intersections but not usually. If there is, it's because it's an entrance to a subdivision and the developer paid for the lights.

We put 10k on my AMEX last year on new Terminator lenses to to correct my girls cataract problems. If she absolutely had to drive at night and we were in separate vehicles I would have her follow me and focus only on my tail lights.

@ls1mike - 70% is almost undetectable to the naked eye so cops don't get all hissy but works miracles on windshields.

Last night I had to drive in the dark. I try to avoid this.

Anybody else uneasy driving at night?
Yes. I used to prefer night time driving (less traffic, cooler out) but we shut that down about 10 - 15 years ago and try to drive during daylight hours only now on big road trips. I don't mind in the city about local driving at night that is still fine but high speed highways are not my thing at night anymore. Tired of dodging deer at night too. We are packing it in around 4pm now on big trips, takes a bit longer but less stress.

Back