Driveworks DW-4476, 7500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
These pictures are of a Driveworks DW4476 filter taken off a 2003 Suzuki Aerio. I ran the filter about 7500 miles over about 5 months using Pennzoil Platinum.

Nothing terribly remarkable about the filter. Held up fine, no rips or tears. Notice the big smeared lump of glue - not a big deal, but the only thing close to a "defect" I could find. The ADBV was pretty hard even though the oil was warm. I've had similar issues with other Purolator clones, particularly the Quaker State filters.

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

More like a Donaldson clone. Not the coil spring vs. leaf spring, and the fluted center tube vs. round holes.

The driveworks always remind me of wix filter, though I'm pretty sure affina doesn't make them.

either way looks like it did fine and thanks for the pics!

Ah, yes, I knew better. I meant to say I've had similar issues with Purolator clones, I did not mean to imply this was made by Purolator or a clone. Thank you for the corrections!

And yes, Driveworks gets their numbers from the last 4 digits of a Purolator number. (P)L14476 would be the comparable filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
More like a Donaldson clone. Not the coil spring vs. leaf spring, and the fluted center tube vs. round holes.

Yeah this is a Donaldson clone for sure , looks similar to a wix but it isnt

Quote:
Stating the almost obvious 4476 DW is a L14476 Purolator "equivalent"

"Equivalent" from the standpoint that the DW uses an abbreviated Puro numbering system, beyond that afaik no relation to Purolator oil filters at all. Also many of the DW applications are consolidated/downsized to the smallest size filter, eg. the 14610 to 14612/DW4612.

Yes it does look similar to a Donaldson, but made in China. However, the media is not synthetic like the Donaldson, and the DW's efficiency is unknown ie., not published. There has been some speculation and unsubstantiated internet rumors regarding it's efficiency, but nothing authoritative.

All that said, looking at construction alone, it does appear to be a well made filter.

Thanks for the pics.

Plenty of generic filters have similar looking part numbers, that isn't unique to Driveworks.

At many of the auto repair shops I have worked at, there is almost always a filter that ends in "8A" because it replaces a Fram PH8A! The different companies who made those filters had no relation to Fram.

Anyway, this driveworks filter looks much better than I expected it to look. I expected a much thinner can, cardboard end caps, and far less dense filter media.

Just pulled a Driveworks 4612 from my wife's 2010 Altima and it seemed to work without drama. No funny rattles at start up after 6K miles in service with a conventional oil. So it didn't seem to have any ADBV issues.

FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back