Douglas Tires - Equus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with Douglas Tires?

I know they're made by Cooper and are their lower level product line.

I'm looking at a set of 4 for my wife's Golf. They're on special at our local Fleet Farm, by 3 get one free and come out to a total of $309 including mounting/balancing/disposal/taxes. They 50k mi H rated tires which is what the OEM book calls for on her vehicle.

So any opinions on these tire/brand.

By the title of the thread, I thought you were wanting to put Douglas tires on a new Hyundai Equus, or that the new Hyundai Equus was going to be shod with Douglas tires. I would have been a disbeliever either way.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
By the title of the thread, I thought you were wanting to put Douglas tires on a new Hyundai Equus, or that the new Hyundai Equus was going to be shod with Douglas tires.

Exactly what I though when I saw the subject line.
smile.gif

Dean tires are about on the same level as Mastercraft tires, Cooper's other mid level line of tires. The Equus tire is the sister tire to the CS4 and the mastercraft avenger LSR, but slightly different.

So to answer the question-yes, it will be just fine...

So, are Dean and Mastercraft brand tires the quality equal of Cooper brand tires? I've asked that of a Cooper rep, and he sidestepped the question and said that they were made in the same factory.

Well had the Deans put on today. Obviously not enough time to give them a full workout... but so far impression is good.

Didn't realize they'd be uni-directional tires but I suppose that comes along with being H rated.

Very quiet. Greatly improved ride. The OEM GY Eagle LS made the car ride like a haywagon. These are nice and smooth. No more harshness on bumps, particularly railroad crossings. Good handling/stablity at moderately high speed cornering. Superb dry traction even on a bit of loose leftover on the road from winter.

$306 out the door including tax.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
So, are Dean and Mastercraft brand tires the quality equal of Cooper brand tires? I've asked that of a Cooper rep, and he sidestepped the question and said that they were made in the same factory.

Yes. I'm guessing he knew the answer also.

The nice thing is that most of Cooper's tires are USA made. The only tires that are not (as of right now) are the Kendra (joint venture) and what is left of the Starfire line.

Kendra tires? Really?

Wait a minute. Do you mean Kenda tires? If so, those are not a product of Cooper. Kenda is an independent Taiwanese corporation which entered into a 50/50 joint-venture to build a production plant in the PRC. That's as far as it goes, and Kenda is currently looking to sell their stake in the facility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshunter
Kendra tires? Really?

Wait a minute. Do you mean Kenda tires? If so, those are not a product of Cooper. Kenda is an independent Taiwanese corporation which entered into a 50/50 joint-venture to build a production plant in the PRC. That's as far as it goes, and Kenda is currently looking to sell their stake in the facility.

Not sure if it's the same company, but the front tire on my road bicycle is a Kenda. It has served me well for nearly 10K miles, and has been on the bike since summer 2007. Hard to believe? Maybe. True? Absolutely.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Kendra tires? Really?

Not sure if it's the same company, but the front tire on my road bicycle is a Kenda. It has served me well for nearly 10K miles, and has been on the bike since summer 2007. Hard to believe? Maybe. True? Absolutely.

Yep, those are the same guys...

Kendra tires? Really?

You missed the joint venture part, I think. Cooper used to consider it part of their line when the venture first started. Already knew about the company...and yes-they are done with Cooper by the end of this year....or should I say Cooper is done with them....

Buickman,
That's a good price and a nice review. I can't say much for Eagle LS's or G/Y as a tire company. And I can't say much good about my experience with Cooper or their private label tires But, you have made a nice comparison between the two.

If these DEAN tires "are comparable" to the Cooper CS4 then they should serve you well as the CS4's get quite nice reviews. I have even considered CS4's although I selected another instead for my particular criteria, I do know others personaly with the CS4's and they love'em.

Best of luck with the DEAN tires and please review again in 6mo-1yr.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Buickman,
That's a good price and a nice review. I can't say much for Eagle LS's or G/Y as a tire company. And I can't say much good about my experience with Cooper or their private label tires But, you have made a nice comparison between the two.

If these DEAN tires "are comparable" to the Cooper CS4 then they should serve you well as the CS4's get quite nice reviews. I have even considered CS4's although I selected another instead for my particular criteria, I do know others personaly with the CS4's and they love'em.

Best of luck with the DEAN tires and please review again in 6mo-1yr.
smile.gif

Wife just took the car on 1000mi+ worth of traveling this last week (3 days Chicago, two days Dubuque, plus a couple other 100+ mile round trips). She does not normally travel this much but about once a year has all sorts of conferences/symposiums to go to and racks up a good 3000+ miles during that period.

Firstly, gas mileage went up. Whether that can be attributed to the tires or not, who knows. But she went from averaging 28 1/2 MPG on the highway to 31.

Second. She commented on the how quiet and smooth the ride was. I took it out on the highway for a short run before she left (to check for any wobble from a bad balancne job) and agree with her that there is no noticeable noise coming from these tires whatsoever. She also said its a very nice smooth ride with no harshness and that she doesn't notice the bumps from the expansion joints either. Also no horrible "tracking" tendency where the tires follow the grooves cut in the highways.

BTW, who ever thought that running grooves in the road surface parallel to the direction of travel was a good idea. Yes I know its supposed to help with hydroplaning and snow/ice buildup but with the wrong car/wrong tire its a horrible feeling as the car "worms" its way down the road following the not even remotely straight lines cut into the deck of the roadway.

I too notice these rain grooves on the highway. Usually over bridges and around bends. The feeling of "swaying" or hydroplaining on dry road is present. Also what I have noticed is that portion of road is concrete and not asphalt. Tires don't feel as connected to the road on concrete as they do on asphalt.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I too notice these rain grooves on the highway. Usually over bridges and around bends. The feeling of "swaying" or hydroplaining on dry road is present. Also what I have noticed is that portion of road is concrete and not asphalt. Tires don't feel as connected to the road on concrete as they do on asphalt.

Yeah they only do it on the concrete portions. Around here about 5 years ago, they started doing this grooving on all highway construction (where concrete has been used).

Gotta wonder what its doing to the tires themselves as far as treadwear is concernend if its enough to transmit the feeling of swaying to the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back