Don't people READ an Ebay listing before buying?

This. You asked $50 HOLY COW!!! That more than implies good condition. $40? Dude was drunk.

Plus those pictures are terrible. On Ebay if you don't zoom in on the actual damage detail, absolutely expect people to complain.

Just give him money back, maybe you can give him half back. Just a suggestion. I sell NEW stuff daily on eBay
Since the rest of the covers are fine and only the drivers seat bolster has cracks and that piece is 1/8th of the set, I'd give him $5 back at most, however, since it was disclosed in the listing and the picture shows it, I won't. People should have personal responsibility for their actions and if they don't read the listing or look at the pictures, it's not the sellers fault. New they would be over $500. Sold it for 90% off.

Considering how meticulous and detailed your vehicle ads are @atikovi , I think the image with the wear and tear for this listing leaves a lot to be desired. Normally, I would side with you, but not this time, sorry.
Pictures were from the auction I bought the car from. I had removed them before deciding to list on Ebay. I could just as well have listed it without that piece for the same price.

Pictures were from the auction I bought the car from. I had removed them before deciding to list on Ebay. I could just as well have listed it without that piece for the same price.
Yes, but you set expectations. I agree, its not your fault, and people should read, but we all know they don't.

This was predictable if you didn't post a pic with a big red circle saying this part is worn.

Yes, people are idiots. Also fully predictable.

I could just as well have listed it without that piece for the same price.
I sell things on-line too. To avoid headaches, I bring any deficiencies to the foreground. Let's be honest with each other here, that image is hard to see with the shadows. People don't read, you already know this, with all your experience. To avoid disappointment for both parties involved I would have done a better job of highlighting any areas that may be cause for contention.

I shop eBay and Walmart instead of you know who …
98% of the time I’m happy and have never returned anything …
However - when it comes to used - it’s going to be a durable item …
(long handle SnapOn six point combo wrench etc) …

20 years now of selling on Ebay, and that's a listing asking for trouble.

You have to sell to the lowest common denominator. To be honest, the description is very vague on what you mean by "wear and tear". Yes, it's visible in the photos, but you have to look for it and if not looking closely it would be easy to think it's glare/another issue.

I'd have followed up the full item description with exactly wear and what the nature of the "wear and tear is" by saying something like "The driver's side seat bolster has several cracks and the covering is peeling in several spots."

I'd have made sure I showed a clear, close up photo of the area with damage and not depended on the buyer to zoom in. Don't make them have to hunt down issues.

Yes, the buyer could have looked closer, but the seller left it ambiguous enough and didn't give a clear enough photo, IMO, for the buyer to judge for themselves just how bad the damage was.

Sold these seat covers after buyer made a $40 offer.

This morning the buyer messages half a dozen times saying,

The item that was sold came damaged understood is was used but in good shape nothing like it was described
The leather is pealing
No pictures indicating it

So I sent him some screen shots of the listing,

View attachment 209517

View attachment 209518

So far I haven't heard anything back, but I wouldn't be surprised getting a negative feedback from him. Don't people read the listings and look at the pictures?
Are you allowed to respond to their feedback so it’s public?

Yes, and a lot of times what the seller replies with makes it look worse!
I can see that an issue if it turned into arguing but if it was kept short with 1 reply I don’t see an issue.

“The description and photos mentioned the wear.”

Why even sell that? It's worn out.

I see people selling stuff for like $2 on Facebook. I'm not spending time listing and meeting someone for $5, or even under $50
First of all, one out of the 8 pieces had some wear on it, the other 7 pieces were fine. Second, it's not your decision to make. It's a free country and sellers can list for whatever they want and buyers decide if it's worth it for them. When I complain that a scratched up and dented wheelcover is listed there for $30 when a new one is $35, people say that's just my opinion. Go figure.

i buy on ebay all the time and at a large rate. i would absolutely leave poor feedback for that. i also wouldn’t have paid $40 for used seat covers either but regardless the seller is in the right here. your photos are very strategic in the fact that they BARELY show the damage or “wear” as you call it. the buyer will win the dispute.

Back