Does WalMart really do this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Vacuum pumps ? Its not mine! Its not my bag baby!

[returning Austin's personal property after reanimating him]

Quartermaster Clerk: One Swedish-made vacuum pump.

Austin Powers: [to Vanessa] That's not mine.

Quartermaster Clerk: One credit card receipt for Swedish-made vacuum pump signed by Austin Powers.

Austin Powers: I'm telling ya baby, that's not mine.

Quartermaster Clerk: One warranty card for Swedish-made vacuum pump, filled out by Austin Powers.

Austin Powers: I don't even know what this is! This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby.

Quartermaster Clerk: One book, "Swedish-made Vacuum Pumps And Me: This Sort of Thing Is My Bag Baby", by Austin Powers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Honestly, my local O'Reilly has got to be one of the shadiest looking auto store establishments in a 25-mile radius. It would be the last place I'd go shopping at.

Huge 2nd here as well!

That's laughable.
A vaccine should be developed to protect the young from such ignorance.

You should have asked him if that's what O'R's does when they run an oil change special.
Walmart is the largest seller of motor oil to the DIY market, maybe larger than everyone else combined.
Walmart could put M1 in second place in the DIY synthetic market with a flip of the Plan-O-Gram and an email to whomever they want to put into first place.
Walmart's high turnover of oil also ensures that the product is fresh and of the latest formulation, if that matters.
Walmart has the ability to negotiate hard based upon the sheer volume of product that they move, while the number of jugs at regular price moved in a typical parts chain location in a week can probably be counted on your fingers, maybe using only one hand.
Oil is about the only thing I ever buy from Walmart, since the price is always right and justifies the horrible shopping experience.
Locally, Meijer matches Walmart on oil prices and is a far more pleasant place to shop.

Originally Posted By: salv
Never, never, never, never, etc. use retail part store clerks as resources, or trust that they are experts in anything other than making minimum wage.

That's why I call them "beep and swipes", because all they really know is how to scan (beep) the bar code and then swipe your credit card.

John

Originally Posted By: askani79705
Originally Posted By: Plumber
The oil is what they call a "loss leader."

Meaning super cheap oil, but make it up on other items they hope you buy when you only stop in for oil.

Yup, It's placed in the back corner to make you walk past all kind of temptation.

Lol. So is everything else in the back of the store.

Clearly your auto parts selling friend never took MBA level classes at any kind of business school.

Walmart is a great case study that a lot of B schools use, they didn't get to be number one by accident. No one does logistics and inventory control like Walmart, except for maybe Amazon and UPS. But Walmart is still king.

This is why say Pepboys spends an extra few bucks for a jug of oil. On the flip side I suspect Pepboys margins are higher as well.

Meaning super cheap oil, but make it up on other items they hope you buy when you only stop in for oil.

Because us Bitog guys are known as such big compulsive spenders?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Locally, Meijer matches Walmart on oil prices and is a far more pleasant place to shop.

Unfortunately, we(meijer) stopped competetor ad matching last fall, around the same time we stopped doubling coupons chain wide.

And before you say "RU sure?", yes. I've been a cashier with them nearly 16 years.
Also, http://help.meijer.com/app/answers/detai...match-policy%3F

I'm not talking about ad matching, I'm talking about price matching.
The Meijer price for M1, PP or VSP matches what Walmart charges.
Don't sell the chain that employs you short.
Meijer did stop double coupons after Kroger made that move.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen

Because us Bitog guys are known as such big compulsive spenders?

They do have the automotive a little too close to the ammo..

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Unfortunately, we(meijer) stopped competetor ad matching last fall, around the same time we stopped doubling coupons chain wide.

And before you say "RU sure?", yes. I've been a cashier with them nearly 16 years.
Also, http://help.meijer.com/app/answers/detai...match-policy%3F

I'm not talking about ad matching, I'm talking about price matching.
The Meijer price for M1, PP or VSP matches what Walmart charges.
Don't sell the chain that employs you short.
Meijer did stop double coupons after Kroger made that move.

not selling anyone short, just not wanting to spread false info.
Misunderstanding on my part.

I did find it interesting in our oil aisle yesterday, noticed that the regular shelf price (not sale/price drop/etc) for all the big Name Synthetics in a 5qt Jug was exactly the same, brand to brand. M1, Synpower, PP, Castrol Edge,and....another one i can't place right now(a couple beers in to the night) were all $25.19, While the Warren Made Meijer Syn, is $17.49 ($1 More than PYB, $.50 More than Motorcraft SynBlend.)

Reminds me of the story that Kmart got oil from the bottom of the barrel while Walmart got the good stuff...... Now that was funny. Same as oil in quart bottles is more pure compared to the jugs...... Just as funny.

Used to work @ a BP station, one of the assistants said that the Store Brand "Highway" Cigs were made from the Clippings and Leaves that fell on the floor @ the [BRAND NAME*]factory.

or the old College tale that Natty is Just the Foam off the top of the Budweiser vats.

*I honestly can't remember what brand he said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back