Does the Duramax really suck at truck pulls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edhackett
A John Deere 830 pulling:

Ed

Awesome
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not a Duramax fan, but my guess is that guy didn't know how to drive. The Duramax can run with the rest of them for sure, and the guy who told you that they don't pull well was probably full of it.

I see a lot of guys at the fairs and different events who pour thousands into a pulling truck yet don't know how to drive it no matter what brand it is. The guys with highly modified engines and stock transmissions/drive lines are really fun to watch.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
My cousin described the Cummins Dodge trucks as a jewel of an engine stuck in a POS truck.

Hogwash.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
My cousin described the Cummins Dodge trucks as a jewel of an engine stuck in a POS truck.

Hogwash.

Your 2011 is a significantly improved version of the 1st and 2nd gen models that earned it that reputation.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Hogwash.

Your 2011 is a significantly improved version of the 1st and 2nd gen models that earned it that reputation.

So the 1st and 2nd gen had cracked dashboards, big deal. So they exploded balljoints like cotton candy, well thats what happens when you use a truck. So i say again, Hogwash.

Unfortunately, that's a gross oversimplification that in no way aligns with reality. Wish it were true, but it just ain't so..

Unfortunately, that's a gross oversimplification that in no way aligns with reality. Wish it were true, but it just ain't so..

People denied that the world was round too. Sorry to say, dodge trucks are great no matter what you think.

My cousin described the Cummins Dodge trucks as a jewel of an engine stuck in a POS truck. We have had a few Dodges unfortunately go through the family and my experience is they do suck. My company's Dodge pickup carried on that tradition as well.

This is off topic, but IMHO, if Ford did the exterior, GM did the powertrains, and Dodge did the interiors, that combo would get you an incredible vehicle.

Absurd.
The HDMI can hang with any LS engine and since I own 3 first gen LS engines,a second gen Hemi as well as a 2013 Hemi in a ram the engines between them are both very durable. To say a Hemi is more durable than an LS or vice versa is absurd an total nonsense. Both will last forever.
In fact with all the problems the LS engines had teething with their cylinder deactivation one could make the successful argument that dodge is in fact better.
Sure they eat front ends. When you drive a truck like a truck parts are going to break regardless of how enlightened the design is.
Dodge,chef and ford all build great trucks with pros and cons for each but to say chess engines are better than a Hemi is complete and utter nonsense.
Funny thing. The highest mile engine I've seen for a while in a 5.4 2v ford engine. 550 on the odo iirc,and it's an American truck so it's miles,not kms.

People denied that the world was round too. Sorry to say, dodge trucks are great no matter what you think.

When you start relying upon logical fallacies as your argumentative tool, there's no reason for me to continue.

Just remember that while the internet is full of message board experts, every now and again, you'll run across someone that just may know what they're talking about.
2qc2zZ8.jpg

When you start relying upon logical fallacies as your argumentative tool, there's no reason for me to continue.

Just remember that while the internet is full of message board experts, every now and again, you'll run across someone that just may know what they're talking about.
2qc2zZ8.jpg

You spewed garbage with no facts, so put up or stop wasting internet bytes. Meanwhile there are hundreds of thousands of dodge trucks on the road making you sound like an idiot every single day.

Last edited:
I have no real engineering to make a definitive comment, but based on my over 5 decades of being around diesels, I have grown to feel that if it isn't an inline motor, it is goofy. They tried the V8 Cats in semi trucks. That didn't last long. Everything in a heavy truck is inline. Not a V motor in sight. Inlines just seem to have the best grunt. Why, I have no clue nor could I expound upon that idea. Same is true with the old inline 6 gas motors. They just plain worked and worked well. One of the main reasons I have not had any real interest in the Ford or GM pickup diesels is because they are V motors. Just not motivated to even take a second look. Now, I won't look at the Cummins in the Dodge either, but that stems from some serious issues I had with two Cummins ISX motors. I dearly was fond the the N-14, but the ISX soured me so bad that I don't want anything in any personal or commercial vehicle that says Cummins on it.

So, effectively, I will not be in the diesel pickup game for the foreseeable future. Commercially, I have to use diesels, but I have a broad selection to choose from.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have no real engineering to make a definitive comment, but based on my over 5 decades of being around diesels, I have grown to feel that if it isn't an inline motor, it is goofy. They tried the V8 Cats in semi trucks. That didn't last long. Everything in a heavy truck is inline. Not a V motor in sight. Inlines just seem to have the best grunt. Why, I have no clue nor could I expound upon that idea. Same is true with the old inline 6 gas motors. They just plain worked and worked well. One of the main reasons I have not had any real interest in the Ford or GM pickup diesels is because they are V motors. Just not motivated to even take a second look. Now, I won't look at the Cummins in the Dodge either, but that stems from some serious issues I had with two Cummins ISX motors. I dearly was fond the the N-14, but the ISX soured me so bad that I don't want anything in any personal or commercial vehicle that says Cummins on it.

So, effectively, I will not be in the diesel pickup game for the foreseeable future. Commercially, I have to use diesels, but I have a broad selection to choose from.

I like I6 & I8 engines for that matter (Had a '39 Buick Special), But your stance on V engines is a little odd. My grandfather had a trucking company from the 60's into the 80's (Lo-boy Heavy equipment hauling only)...He would only buy V8 trucks 8V-92 Detroits & 3408 Cats...When they were available of coarse, He hated the Big Cam 350/400 Cummins & didn't care for the 3406 Cat all because they were inline sixes.

Your post just tickled me, You & my granddad are polar opposites on this topic, He has been gone for quite some time now & it made me think of him.....Thanks. I can hear him rant now...."If I wanted a 6 cylinder, I'd buy a cheap Chevrolet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back