Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: tig1
No, it doesn't matter.

How so?

Because some filter makers do not use a ADBV in filters designed for engines where the filter base plate is pointed straight up. Foe example, my Fusion has a cartridge filter and it is vertical to the engine. There is no ADBV is this system. Now my Focus has a verticle filter as well, and I use the FL 910 MC filter and it has a ADBV in it, but this filter is designed for other engines besides the Focus.

GM V8s have a base up vertical mounted oil filter, and they all require a filter with an ADBV. In most cases you still need an ADBV on a base up mounted filter for the reasons stated in this thread.

I thought about it. Disregard.

Last edited:
The filter for my 7.3 Powerstroke doesn't have one, nor do a lot of diesel filters that are mounted vertically threads up. But a lot of filters for gas engines keep them, my only guess is those same filters cross for several applications where the filter is mounted vertically with the threads down or horizontally. I think diesel filters can get away without having them because most cases the specific filter only works on one engine so there's no need for a ADBV. But, I could be wrong. I don't think there's many things you're going to spin my massive 7.3 oil filter on to! It's about half the size of a Cat C-12 filter.

Hydrostatic U-tube principle - if the delivery side is the tallest column of fluid - without being checked it falls to a point of equalization and a void is formed on the supply side ...
Yes, the filter might remain full - but not the 'plumbing' ...

Older cars had no oil filters or had bypass filters. Oil drained down to the pan every time the engine stopped. When full flow filters started it seems a lot, maybe all, still had no adbv. Can still look up old cars filter application and see it. Maybe that's why there was more start up wear and clatter from lifters on old cars. It's still all pretty primitive even today.

goodtimes said:
Older cars had no oil filters or had bypass filters. Oil drained down to the pan every time the engine stopped. When full flow filters started it seems a lot, maybe all, still had no adbv. Can still look up old cars filter application and see it. Maybe that's why there was more start up wear and clatter from lifters on old cars. It's The most important thing the anti drain back can do is prevent the back washing of the oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back