Does synthetic media flow better than paper media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the prices of Royal Purple, NAPA Platinum, and Bosch Distance Plus being almost
the same, I'm thinking about buying whichever filter flows the best. Your thoughts?

Bosch D+ is still paper blend, IIRC?

From AAP site regarding D3312 for my app:

Quote:
Media: Synthetic and Cellulose Blend

...though they also state
Quote:
Micron Rating: 40 mc

21.gif

On the other hand, Royal Purple has advertised 'flow', but I don't know. 99% filtration at 25μm is good enough for most cars with Full Flow filtration.

The Napa definitely is fully synthetic media.

K&N may be the same as M1 to the eye, but K&N pushes 'high flow rates', so it's really take your pick. I doubt any of the choke or starve your engine of oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Quote:

Quote:

21.gif

On the other hand, Royal Purple has advertised 'flow', but I don't know. 99% filtration at 25μm is good enough for most cars with Full Flow filtration.

K&N may be the same as M1 to the eye, but K&N pushes 'high flow rates', so it's really take your pick. I doubt any of the choke or starve your engine of oil.
thumbsup2.gif

NAPA Gold is 100 synthetic? Or another NAPA filter?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Quote:

Quote:

21.gif

thumbsup2.gif

NAPA Gold is 100 synthetic? Or another NAPA filter?
NAPA Platinum is full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
With the prices of Royal Purple, NAPA Platinum, and Bosch Distance Plus being almost
the same, I'm thinking about buying whichever filter flows the best. Your thoughts?

Your full wire backed synthetic media like the NP,RP,EAO flows better vs the traditional cellulose or cellulose blend,that's one of the main advantages of this type filter you get great efficiency and flow plus longer OCI are obtainable too.

Originally Posted By: daman

Your full wire backed synthetic media like the NP,RP,EAO flows better vs the traditional cellulose or cellulose blend,that's one of the main advantages of this type filter you get great efficiency and flow plus longer OCI are obtainable too.

Yep ... that's why ACDelco came up with this graph back when the Ultraguard came out (around 2002) to show how it flowed oil better than non-full synthetic media filters. I think the ACDelco Ultraguard was one of just a few full synthetic wire backed media filters on the market at the time.

OilFilterFlowvsPSID.jpg

I think the synthetic media gives better flow per square inch of media due to have more holes of the correct size in the media. It is one of the reasons modern small filters do such a good job.

Wow, from that chart and the info Purolator spilled regarding their own bench-testing with regards to flow on the PureONE, it's a wonder ANYONE thought it was restrictive before in any way to flow.

I ran a Google search on ACDelco Ultraguard and by the looks of it, it doesn't seem to be made anymore.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: daman

I wouldn't necessarily say that is the case for every filter.

The Napa Gold 1365 filter has a Cellulose media and has a listed flow rate of 9-11GPM.

The Napa Platinum 41365 Synthetic media filter has a listed flow of 7-9GPM.

2GPM less then its cellulose media counter part.

I ran a Google search on ACDelco Ultraguard and by the looks of it, it doesn't seem to be made anymore.
21.gif

Where did you look? I have seen UPF52s on Rock Auto before as well as Amazon recently.

21.gif

I dont know if they are still made anymore but they are available. I just ordered some on gmpartsdirect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back