Does Pennzoil cause sludge or not???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer is no.

But think about it, if any oil truly caused a sludge problem, some lawyer would be all over it. You would see TV commercials inviting you to send in your Penzoil receipt to join the class action lawsuit.

Lets see...

-Pennzoil is API Certified and SM/GF-4 rated

-Pennzoil (Platinum) is one of the very few oils to carry the HTO-06 specification required by some Honda/Acura/Other Turbo equipped engines.

-Pennzoil has been around an extremely long time and has gained market share.

I highly doubt the above would be possible if they were "Sludging" up engines.

Lets see...

-Pennzoil is API Certified and SM/GF-4 rated

-Pennzoil is one of the very few oils to carry the HTO-06 specification required by some Honda/Acura/Other Turbo equipped engines.

-Pennzoil has been around an extremely long time and has gained market share.

I highly doubt the above would be possible if they were "Sludging" up engines.

Ok lets lock this thread because it is ridiculous...
grin2.gif

if pennzoil is a sludger I'd bet edge is 8X less sludgy
grin2.gif

to say the least no....... pennzoil has always been a good oil, I remember using it on my old dodge pickup my dad handed down to me it had 185,000 no rebuild on yb, I ran yb in it was called pure base back then, anyone remember that.
No worries yb and pp for that matter are great oils, they tout them now as highly cleaning something I feel is being proven especially with pp.
If you look back historically most oils have been the source of accusations for sludge or whoops my engine blew up, but was it really maintained and changed every 3k or neglected then kaboom and the stories are changed to yes it was maintained. Another could be the big run of belief in additives being added in the 80's. Hey lets put teflon in our oil something the manufacture of teflon even recommends against........

I ran a 1985 Ford E-150 from new until I sold it in 2004 with close to 150,000 miles of NY stop and go. Typically it would be driven 5 miles or less to a job, parked for 8 hours and driven home. I changed the VC cover gasket a few months before I sold it and to my surprise that engine was spotless. It only saw YB its entire life, and was treated with MMO from time to time. Pennzoil is one of the best oils on the market.

The truck used no oil, the guy who bought it from me ran a currier service from JFK to points all over L.I. I happened to be stopped at a light next to him on Sunrise Hwy about 2 years later and he had over 250K on it and said it still ran like new. YMMV

HAhahaha you guys don't disapoint...that's for sure

I did not say I believed it...I asked a "spicy" question to liven it up around here, and maybe get some positive reinforcement since I switched to Pennzoil. It cured the oil burning issue in the g/f '08 car w/ 26k on it...so it must be good eh?

I just wanted to get commentary that would assure me Pennzoil is every bit as good as Castrol, AND since Valvoline & Havoline seem to be the "new" sweethearts around here and PP & YB have seemed to be less favorable than they had been when it convinced me to run Pennzoil.

Again, you guys don't disappoint; I have had some rest now and enjoyed waking up to this quality material :)

NOW...is Valvoline WB "acidic"??? That is another jewel I came across in the goog

Originally Posted By: John_K
What kind of an 08 has an oil burning issue?

John

Lots of newer GM's do...she has a Pontiac G6 GXP and without topping off, it used 2qts of MC 5000 dino when the OLM monitor had 40% life left and it had 6800k on the fill.

I would not say that is an outrageous amount, but more than my liking. My plan was to just start changing it at 5k and have her ignore the OLM, but so far at 4200k on the fill of PYB ZERO consumption.

An older guy I work with said Quaker State used to sludge up back in the day. Im guessing late 60's/early 70's thats why he switched to Pennzoil YB...

A bad/frozen pcv will sludge any oil - there's alot of h20 and subsequent acid going in the case in the winter (for those of us lucky enough to have a winter). I rcall my wifes 91 honda civic having a frothy creme goo on the bottom of the oil fill cap in the winter. And a bad TEC distributor cap.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
An older guy I work with said Quaker State used to sludge up back in the day. Im guessing late 60's/early 70's thats why he switched to Pennzoil YB...
Quaker Cake is also mentioned by the oil Experts in the FSUV's link.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: John_K
What kind of an 08 has an oil burning issue?

John

Lots of newer GM's do...she has a Pontiac G6 GXP and without topping off, it used 2qts of MC 5000 dino when the OLM monitor had 40% life left and it had 6800k on the fill.

I would not say that is an outrageous amount, but more than my liking. My plan was to just start changing it at 5k and have her ignore the OLM, but so far at 4200k on the fill of PYB ZERO consumption.

I like your solution.

Lots of folks live and die by the OLM monitor.

5000 "stop and go" miles is long enough for most dino oils.

Though I have occasionally run YBP to 7500 miles in my '04 Toyota Sienna without any usage or problems.

YBP is great stuff.

Of course PYB causes sludge, just as M1 and Redline cause high iron wear.
I have heard that drivers wearing tinfoil hats typically have less engine sludge, however.
Seriously, there is no current spec oil out there that will cause problems in your engine, provided you change it at an appropriate interval for the use the vehicle sees.

Too bad the guy doesn't have a clue. ALL dino oils are mostly paraffins and the PAO's are too. It is just a more common term for alkane, a class of organic compounds with the formula H2(CH2)n.

So the oils are closely related to the jelly jar sealing wax. You could even thicken up your oil by dumping some in. It would quickly dissolve in hot oil and stay dissolved. Paraffin melts, sludge doesn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back