Does Maxlife swell seals? Or condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Have a question. My brother and I got into a discussion about oil. We were talking about what oil to use in his 1997 Civic. I suggested something like Maxlife, being more robust and having more additives.
He was adamant and said no. When I asked why, he said he doesn't want to use a oil in the engine that swelled and softened the seals. So, he is not interested in any hm oil because of that, even if the hm oils have more anti-wear additives. By swelling and softening the seals, he said, it would shorten the seals life.

My question is this: Does Maxlife really swell seals? I was under the impression that it had conditioners that helped old seals, but, was safe on new or newer seals? Would Maxlife damage new or newer seals?

Thanks,

From what I understand, there are seal sweller additives that are destructive temporary repairs. But HM oils use seal conditioners that restore seals, if there is swelling it's only to it's original dimensions.

I use AT205 in a 2006 Accord v6 with 111,000 miles and a rear main leak. Put it in at 105,000 mile and it did stop the leak. We shall see how long it lasts.

All motor oil contains seal conditioners, but high mileage oils contain a hover treat rate, roughly double over standard formulations from what I've gathered.

The answer to your 2 questions in the topic subject is sometimes yes/yes.. but not destructively..
all oils contain additives.. otherwise certain oils can have pretty bad compatibility with some seal materials.

Oil is a finished product.

Maxlife has more but not "too much"

According to Valvoline, you can use Maxlife in a new car in the appropriate grade.
I probably wouldn't, but in an old Civic that showed leaks and consumption, then why not?
In a leaker, in my experience, Maxlife can make a remarkable difference.
That Maxlife SB may be Valvoline's best formulated oil is only icing on the cake.
In something like an old Civic, I'd use it without a second thought.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
All motor oil contains seal conditioners, but high mileage oils contain a hover treat rate, roughly double over standard formulations from what I've gathered.

Yep.

I cannot find the thread but it was reported that Valvoline uses a group V ester as a seal conditioner in its Maxlife products.

I've always pondered if you can use an oil designed for "High Mileage" vehicles in new vehicles. Some of these high mileage designed oils have a VERY robust add pack, so why not use it in a new vehicle ? The only thing that has stopped me is this very issue....will it adversely effect my seals in my engine being that it was designed for use on older seals that have "hardened" a bit over time.

Is there a scientific delineation between "swelling" and "conditioning" a seal, or is that mostly marketing speak? For what it's worth, MaxLife is approved for new vehicles, being SN/GF-5 and dexos1 (at least first generation dexos1) in appropriate grades.

21000 !!!
08.gif

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
I've always pondered if you can use an oil designed for "High Mileage" vehicles in new vehicles. Some of these high mileage designed oils have a VERY robust add pack, so why not use it in a new vehicle ? The only thing that has stopped me is this very issue....will it adversely effect my seals in my engine being that it was designed for use on older seals that have "hardened" a bit over time.

None of the makers of any of the HM oils say this is an issue. All their literature say it is OK to use it in new vehicles.

Even non-high mileage oils might list seal-conditioning abilities. Any seal conditioning agent in oils today is very safe. Imagine your seals as a wall of atoms, anything is just going to cling to that layer and form a better barrier to keep other larger atoms from moving out of that membrane. Leaks from use of high mileage oil are common because the seal kept a good seal from sludge that may be removed once you switch from 200,000 miles of dollar store oil/ infrequent changes to a reputable brand.

Do you really think companies that spend millions developing a product that will destroy all seals, no. That means no repeat business, brand reputation, and possible lawsuits. With API, Ford, Dexos certifications, rest assured that engineers have accounted for how much swelling occurs. Probably not more then normal operational swelling that occurs from hot/cold cycles. The only caveat is DO NOT use swell-seal additives off the auto parts shelf. Those are NOT regulated and probably haven't changed since 1989.

As for longevity, take apart that motor. I bet many of the seals won't even seal correctly when you re-assemble it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Is there a scientific delineation between "swelling" and "conditioning" a seal, or is that mostly marketing speak? For what it's worth, MaxLife is approved for new vehicles, being SN/GF-5 and dexos1 (at least first generation dexos1) in appropriate grades.

Conditioning implies Cleaning and Swelling (Elastomer Molecule Replacement).

Swelling is just increasing the volume of the Elastomer.

But yes, too many companies use both terms way too loosely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back