Does anyone actually eat the bread end pieces?

Freezing bread eliminates waste. Lots of items besides bread freeze well ... and there are numerous recipes that make good use of stale bread.
Yes for sure. I have added a little extra bread to Stove Top stuffing and it makes the texture a little more like home made dressing.

Reactions: 4WD
I think the bakery calls them HEEL's. Yeah, I prefer them.
Yes, that is the term used in my family growing up. I like the insides toasted on the bagel setting. Then use as a bun for burgers, sausage and egg sandwich, tuna or ham salad. The edges curl a bit and hold things together.

On my ship, if you are caught not eating end pieces or bread/pizza crust, you have the choice between getting spaced or being exiled on LV-426.

Last edited:
I eat the first end piece on a new loaf. By the time it gets to the other end, it's usually not as fresh, so I toss that end piece.

I eat the first end piece on a new loaf. By the time it gets to the other end, it's usually not as fresh, so I toss that end piece.
Stale bread contains resistant starch which means it contains fewer metabolizable carbs. You can toast stale bread and undo it being stale. You can also toast it until totally dry and then turn it into breadcrumbs.

Back