Does anyone actually eat the bread end pieces?

Bakery rye or whatever is close, even from a supermarket bakery or any bread with a real crust. My wife makes sour dough. When we were kids grandma got Jewish rye from a local bakery. There was a label on one end. We did our best to peel off the label before we ate it.

Sometimes, usually we throw away bread because we do not eat an entire loaf because there is just my wife and myself at home. I feel bad about throwing any kind of food away because I came from a family of 9 and my mom would use everything. We didn't waste any food and lived off the garden and my mom canned lots of food and we purchased meat locally from non-confined feed lots.
I live by myself and will freeze loaves. If I get daves killer bread it goes in the fridge as it doesn't have preservatives.

I make my own bread using a Zojirushi bread machine. only 5 ingredients. Process is less than 5 minutes. 3 hrs 45 mins later.. and the smell of it baking.. I just bought a 50 lb bag of King Arthur.Flour" Sir Galahad brand.Before that, I ate the heels :cool:

I make my own bread using a Zojirushi bread machine. only 5 ingredients. Process is less than 5 minutes. 3 hrs 45 mins later.. and the smell of it baking.. I just bought a 50 lb bag of King Arthur.Flour" Sir Galahad brand.Before that, I ate the heels :cool:
50 LBS of flour? Must plan on some serious baking!

I'm gonna eat the ends off of this one that my wife just pulled out of the oven
IMG_0551.jpg

I've actually made grilled cheese with them. I generally don't grill the inside these days and I turn the end inside. But there's nothing wrong with eating the ends. However, sometimes the slicing is weird where one end is super thin. That's just what happens with a slicing machine.

No food ever goes to waste under my roof. The ends make the best toast.

Shrimp tails? I sometimes peel shrimp before cooking and use it chopped. I'll try to yank out the meat from the tails although often they just break off and stay in.

There was a Jack in the Box commercial about saving money on food, where someone tries raiding a hotel hallway for leftover room service food. One is where this guy pours a bunch of liquids together to make a "smoothie". And another was "shrimp nubs have more meat than you think."

Back