do you warm up your engine before driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only when we're getting into the -20*C territory do I do anything but start and drive (with respect for all of the cold mechanicals).

Even in -20*C it's less than 30 seconds - just long enough for any complaining noises (from the car, not the occupants) to stop and things to stabilize.

Engine warm up is much, much faster when under some kind of load, even a light load. I don't think my car will even warm up idling if you give it 20 minutes or more in the winter. The less time running rich, belching pollution and diluting the oil the better. My UOAs including fuel dilution from the winter are great.

Another thing I do on my vehicle is limit the demands on the HVAC. It's a fully automatic (BMW) system and I'll override the fan so that it doesn't go any faster than the initial speed at cold start. If I don't, as soon as the coolant reaches something like only 30-40C it'll start belting out heat trying to warm the cabin and robbing it from the engine and oil. If I'm short tripping I'm dressed in winter gear already so this is my default fan setting. If I'm on a longer drive I'll leave it on full automatic. This is a little finicky but it really does make a difference and with auto temp but manual fan it still keeps the windows clear.

My previous year-round car was an Acura Integra with a 1.8L engine. There on cold days I actually set the HVAC to cold air, low fan, all defrost. That engine barely made any heat and this was just enough to keep cold air moving over the windshield. I'd open the water valves half way when getting a decent engine block temp reading.

Last edited:
Start and wait until my ScanGauge says the Water Temperature is at 100oF or warmer and then reverse down the driveway onto our road.

I then slowly accelerate up with 80KPH (road we live on is that speed) not exceeding 2500 RPM.

Steve

I have a rule, 1 sec at idle for every degree below freezing F.

That would be 10 sec at +22f, 30 sec at +2f, and so on...

Otherwise, "warm-up" is part of driving.

I start the engine and put it in drive. After verifying oil pressure I go on my way. Low throttle until the engine is at operating temperature. I have a diesel engine by the way.

Drive it right away. It's best for warm up.

But there are some situations when I warm up the car.
In winter, I get more warm up when it is of value while I scrape the windows of ice and snow. At 0F I want the defroster to work, and get the fluids a bit warmer - also the interior.

Winter months I usually let the Jeep run for 5-10 minutes to get some heat inside. Summer I just left it run for a few seconds to get the oil circulating.

Unless it is really cold outside, all letting your car idle is doing is wasting fuel. There is no reason to let a car idle for a minute or more unless the temp is really low. Like most people said, just take it easy for the first minute or two of the trip, depending on the temp.

During the winter when it's below 32F, I'll start the car and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes while I wait in the house. I couldn't care less about the fuel that is wasted. I want a semi-warm interior when I get in.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
This year I'm using synthetic oil for winter again in both cars, 5W30. I was impressed how easily my atv started a couple winters ago with syn 0W40 compared to the 10W40 dino I used to run.

As for warm up, I start and go when its above -10C driving easy of course for the until the temp guage is in the middle(~60C). Below -10 I'll wait for it to come off fast idle, usually 20-30 seconds and do the same. Our road comes out it a valley so we go uphill for a mile or two, which makes the engine work abit and is usually at 80C at the end of it.

It's crazy how our different climates change our perception of cold. On a cold 32F winter morning (lol) I give it time to move the needle off of cold. For you, that's just a warm startup and drive temp. When I had the car in 12F weather I let it warmup way too long, a good 5 minutes before moving. Looking back I wouldn't do it for that long. That's the coldest I've ever been in. The LCD for the clock, radio, and even the Navi screen wouldn't function properly at that temp.

32 degrees is start and drive weather for us. When it's 0 degrees or below, and my car is outside, I start it, lock the door (I have 2 keys), run back inside, drink the rest of my coffee, and come back out 10 minutes later to a nice warm car. Sometimes I have to let my car warm up if it's well below 0; you can hardly shift gears until it gets a little heat.

If we get frozen rain, forget about it. You can't scrape it. You have to let it warm up enough for the defroster to melt the ice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silber Igel
Nope! Its light the fires and turn the tires!!

Right on. In South TX, our cars are "fortunate" enough to be pre-warmed naturally, year round.

I usually give my car about 1.5 minutes, regardless of season, then I drive easy for the first couple miles. I'm also running synthetic, M1 5w-30.

Last edited:
I usually warm em' up a bit no matter what. (takes a a mintue or so to make sure I'm ready to go)

Under 40F (usually in the morining) I'll warm them up for 5 min or so.....in the winter, I could care less about MPGs....

Originally Posted By: jackkpts
Unless it is really cold outside, all letting your car idle is doing is wasting fuel. There is no reason to let a car idle for a minute or more unless the temp is really low. Like most people said, just take it easy for the first minute or two of the trip, depending on the temp.

That's an opinion. I agree if we're talking summer temps even though I do like to let the pistons get a little heat in them first.

However, in the winter and depending on what the trip is like warming it up is not just wasting fuel. It's been shown most wear occurs during the warmup process. I want it to get up to full temp quickly but keep load and rpm at a minimum while doing so. That's why I balance it depending on my starting location and temp between a longer idle warmup and driving immediately.

For some reason, Mazda engines rev up real high for 10 or 15 seconds after a cold start. So, regardless of temperature, I wait for the computer to stop revving the engine and then drive off. Of course, I'm easy on it until its warmed up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

It's crazy how our different climates change our perception of cold. On a cold 32F winter morning (lol) I give it time to move the needle off of cold. For you, that's just a warm startup and drive temp. When I had the car in 12F weather I let it warmup way too long, a good 5 minutes before moving. Looking back I wouldn't do it for that long. That's the coldest I've ever been in. The LCD for the clock, radio, and even the Navi screen wouldn't function properly at that temp.

lol... Ya, I've always found that funny. It's been 32F or less every night here for the past few weeks. I don't even think twice about starting the car in this temp! But when it gets down to -40F for a few weeks in Jan, then I'm really careful about letting it accumulate at least a bit of heat before driving off (gently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back