Do you protect your hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you're working with noisy things on your own time, do you take steps to protect your hearing such as wearing earplugs/muffs, etc?

I spun up my angle grinder today, and quickly ran back inside for my earplugs. I'll also not start doing something noisy until I find them. The time spent now is less time asking others to repeat what they said later!

I use earmuffs at home... for chain saw, lawn mower, snow thrower, power saw, and even hammering. My hearing is sensitive (and valuable).

I really try to. I've got a pretty good case of tinnutis from years of loud music and industrial mayhem.

It sucks. I try to keep it from getting much worse.

Being a shooter I have looked into hearing protection and it is quite easy to damage your hearing. I also do wood working and use ear protection when working with power tools as well. I also specifically try to buy tools and tooling that are designed to be low on noise.

So yes, I use hearing protection whenever appropriate.

ETA: Always use the highest DB rating ear protection that you can. Ear muffs protect better than plugs because the sound can enter your ear from the surrounding bone. I always use both when shooting rifles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Ear muffs protect better than plugs because the sound can enter your ear from the surrounding bone. I always use both when shooting rifles.

^^Absolutely! I wear the Winchester shooting ear muffs when I go to Nascar races.

Last edited:
Even though I started later in life, I now wear ear plugs (Hearos) when I cut grass, weed eat/trim, using blower and riding my motorcycle. Can't tell you the number of fireworks I was closely around as a kid with no ear protection. Amazed my hearing is as good as it is.

Also went to Nascar races in N. Wilkesboro, found out after one visit I needed ear plugs when I went back.

I damaged my hearing when I was a kid because I did not wear ear protection when shooting. As a teenager I damaged it further with loud music in rave clubs and such.

So I have a constant ringing in my ears nowadays and try to protect whatever is left.

Yep, anything high powered I wear protection. Even if I need to cut one 2X4 with a circular saw.

As a musician, one of the best things I did was to get ear plugs that were molded to my ears. I take them everywhere with me and use them whenever I'm in a loud environment. Concerts, movie theaters, sporting events, bars, etc.

What, what did you say. Wife says I have selective hearing.

Oh, to the question, I do wear hearing protection now so things don't get any worse. I really abused them when I was young.

I spend a bit of time in data centers, and I carry disposable ear plugs in my tool bag and laptop bag.

Some are very loud and the constant drone of the fans can get on your nerves rather quickly.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
When you're working with noisy things on your own time, do you take steps to protect your hearing such as wearing earplugs/muffs, etc?

I spun up my angle grinder today, and quickly ran back inside for my earplugs. I'll also not start doing something noisy until I find them. The time spent now is less time asking others to repeat what they said later!

Hi Sciphi,

I wear ear plugs just like I wear goggles, a splash shield, a respirator or dust mask, or a helmet, if conditions warrant protective measures.

There is a downside to having excellent hearing. I cannot watch a film at the cinema without finding the volume level to high, and I cannot stand going to crowded restaurants and clubs, because I find the general noise level painful.

Cheers,
-J

Absolutely. My mother is an audiologist and has engrained that into my head from an early age. She works with kids who have hearing loss every day.

Remember that constant noise at medium volume causes irreversible damage.

I always wear earplugs/muffs in loud environments. Losing my hearing is probably my worst fear for some reason. I'm only 22 and I want my hearing to be as good as it is now when I'm 60. In high school, I would even bring earplugs to school every day for when I used machines in metal shop and wood shop.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
My hearing is sensitive (and valuable).

Agreed. I use muffs for most lawn equipment, etc. I do not play music too loud, etc.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Always. Got a couple sets of earmuffs for quick noisy things (touching up welds with an angle grinder) and a load of 33+ dB earplugs for longer term noise (concerts, OPE, etc...). I also have a ton of safety glasses, both 'naked' ones and others for wearing over glasses.

I ruined my hearing when I was younger with a twin stack Detriot, I never worried about ear protection, now that I am older, it shows. Who worries about that stuff when you are young, you are indestrucable. Besides, you wouldnt look too cool wearing ear gear all the time-right? Although I did pay more attention to my eyes after having a piece of steel "augered" out of my left eye. I am fanatical about goggles and grinding or anything, that I have a chance of getting that done again-NO FUN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back