Do you guys ever go for fuel injector cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I've often wondered about.

I read a newspaper article some years ago that indicated that it was a good idea.

But I have also read that many people think it's unnecessary.

What say you based on what experience?

If you only use quality fuels (any grade)and/ or, occasionally throw in a bottle of Techron or similar, you do not need to have the injectors cleaned.

In fact some designs (such as the Bosch injectors in Volvos) are of a so called "self - cleaning" design.

Save your money.

DEWFPO

There are services that will rebuild/test your injectors for a reasonable fee. This is far superior to the systems that clean your injectors while they are on the car.

There are many ways an injector can screw up, but most of them lead to driveability problems & problems passing an emissions test. Putting a good injector cleaner in the tank periodically will help.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray Garlington:
There are services that will rebuild/test your injectors for a reasonable fee. This is far superior to the systems that clean your injectors while they are on the car.

There are many ways an injector can screw up, but most of them lead to driveability problems & problems passing an emissions test. Putting a good injector cleaner in the tank periodically will help.

When it gets to that time needing them rebuild, it will be better off replacing them. If properly taken care of, they will last a long long long time. If you use a fuel treatment even once and awhile it will keep thwm clean. If you use one on a regular basis or every tank, one that has a upper Cyl. lube, then better... the injectors wear just became very very small.
They get clogged and coated from normal "driving" because the fuels today don't do the job they could and add to the problems.

If this is a maintenance question, then Yes, do it once and awhile if you want... Maybe between OCI's or at the end or the start of them or every three or whatever the number you choose.

I just use a large bottle (16 oz?) of Techron once, perhaps twice during each OCI. I actually had it solve a severe hesitation problem on my wife's old 1991 Topaz.

I may try Nuetra or FP in the near future as well.

Mikep

I had an "engine vac" done at the Jeep dealer on my 99 Cherokee.It has around 125,000KM and ran great before the service was done.It runs great now also...can't say if it cleaned anything...supposed to clean the injectors and valves along with the piston tops.My brother works at the dealer so did it for me at an reasonable cost
wink.gif
.It usually costs around $120..he hooked up to the feul rail and ran a bottle of cleaner thru the engine while it ran...supposed to be a good idea every 100,000km or so
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back