Do synthetic engine oils save gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do GP III OR GP IV sytheteic engine oils increase mileage over dino oils or blends? I had my local amzoil dealer telling me that thier oils of the same visc would give me more mpg's. I told him maybe in the winter when its cold, but he told me all year I would save gas. Is he full of it?

Your biggest gains will be in the form of avoided parasitic loses during the startup process (warm up ..about the first 20 minutes or 15 miles of operation. Beyond that you're probably at fractional savings that can be trumped easily by your driving style (speed, etc.). This savings would be year round ..but will surely be "more" at the winter temps.

This assumes the same visc and all other things being equal.

You are gonna have to monitor your mpg with DINO and then SYN and then let us know... I have used Syn and dino of the same spec in same car and agree with Gary Allen only in the winter was there a noticeable difference.

Also I must say this the longer I run dino the better my mpg gets prob because it is shearing down...the last 5w30 I ran sheared down to a 20wt and at the end I was getting 30mpg in the city. I installed 5w30 syn and my mpg dropped to 28. However my driving style is random so you are just gonna have to see for yourself. Its fun being a BITOGER isn't it? You get to try new oils....
banana.gif

Short answer is no, nothing appreciable for exactly same weight.

Detectable gain may be achived if you can use synth to safely drop the weight. As example I run 20W50 dino all year, I'll test 10W40 synth this winter beause I don't often get up to full operating temp in winter, air colded.

As others have said there may be some gain in very colder weather if your start & go. MPG at operating temperature could be 1/10ths but MPG variablity overall is huge. You may be able to measure it on a engine running non-stop such as generator, even then gas may play a bigger role.

We're talking engine oil here. If you live in cold climate synth in the different, tranny, and transfer case (4x4) you may be able to detect differences in hot/cold weather as these devices operate near ambient temp.

During warm-up, they may help a little if the synthetic is thinner at those lower temperatures. Other than that, don't expect any difference. They pass the same fuel economy tests and HTHS, another major indicator of the fuel economy potential of the oil, is often even a little lower with conventional oils.

The biggest fuel economy gains from synthetic oils are usually found in gear oils because they are almost always operating well below design operating temperature.

Without reading the whole post, Audi tests show 2% gain w/GC over 15w-40. Same HT/HS. It's thinner, maybe less friction. You don't need synth for mpg, dino can be blended w/ Starburst or nice and thin 5w-20.

When I first put AMSOIL in my 1973 Saab, my fuel economy went up by 2mpg. Changing the gear lube to AMSOIL raised it another mpg. Mind you now, that was about 30 years ago, and the non-synthetics weren't as good as they are now.
However, an increase is not unusual. And keep in mind there is more difference between synthetics now than there is between non-synthetics. All of the non-synthetics are formulated to meet specs. Some of the synthetics are formulated such that they will far exceed the minimums.

Quote:

Do GP III OR GP IV sytheteic engine oils increase mileage over dino oils or blends? I had my local amzoil dealer telling me that thier oils of the same visc would give me more mpg's. I told him maybe in the winter when its cold, but he told me all year I would save gas. Is he full of it?

yes yes yes
getdown.gif

the savings in fuel pay for oil, the first time.
the Air filter being clean is just as important to
fuel milage as synthetic oil

When I changed my Subaru forester over to M1 in the engine, AT & both differentals I saved 0.42 mpg with a SD of 0.13. Synthetic will never pay for itself based on gas mileage alone. Now if you can run a 5X OCI over dino?

If your thinking about increasing mpg,look to the trans and diff (if you have one). I have yet to talk to anyone that has switched to full synth ATF and hasn't seen an increase in mpg. Me included. My trans shifts/feels better too. Not to mention much better protection and cooler operation.

There are some that see significant differences in mpg using synth in the engine, others that see none and everything in between. It really varies from car to car.

I just changed a cheap 10w30 dino to a 0w30 100% PAO synthetic in my Grand Cherokee 4.0. I always try to drive as efficient as possible and I didnt change anything now. The initial effect is that the lowest mpg readings are better and the average mpg for my driving has gone from 13.7 to 13.0 liters per 100 km. Thats about 5% improvement.
The driving is 60 short trips, 40% longer trips. Makes some difference but not a lot. Nice to see better numbers on the console though, however small.

Quote:

Quote:

yes yes yes
getdown.gif

the savings in fuel pay for oil, the first time.
the Air filter being clean is just as important to
fuel milage as synthetic oil

Care to show your work on that?
dunno.gif

there are too many variables that can effect fuel mileage to determine if such a small gain was caused by a motor oil...

If there is any gain from any oil, the proportionate gain would apply to all users, with different yields.
Having said that, I think syn may provide a small gain in fuel economy, although I can't prove it.
I will say that on two short (3K) runs of dino last summer, our '99 Accord showed no measurable increase in fuel consumption, but it might have been a different story during colder weather.
Bottom line is that even a Grp III is a better oil, and the cost of using it is not all that much greater than the cost of a Grp II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back