Do Filters Flow Good with Gear Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
The answer is "NO". Check this out ... pretty crazy.
crazy.gif

Next time I see a thread asking about running gear oil through an engine to clean it......I'm linking to this.

Well, 50 grade engine oil is approximately the same viscosity as 90 grade gear oil so I don't see why it would be a short term issue outside of Point Barrow, Alaska. Additive package a gear oil wouldn't be optimal, of course. If you believe the YouTube poster, it got to be Flynn's fault in some way or another but how remains TBD.

I'm wondering if the flush job hurt the engine somehow, and they put gear oil in the engine to help hide the damaged bearings, hoping thicker oil would quiet down the clanking?

One thing I don't understand is why did he let it run so long while the engine was making all that noise? Guess he figured the engine was already toast, so more damage didn't matter.

Did the expert staff at Flynn's forget to put any oil into the engine, run it, damage it, then put in gear oil or something else heavy to quiet the engine?

If it was gear oil, the owner who claims to know a lot about engines would have smelled the distinctive gear oil odor and commented on it, eh?

No idea why the filter was empty unless something in Flynn's actions caused the oil pump to fail. And, why did the owner get the flush, and why did he do the work en route? Was this flush just adding a flush solvent and idle the engine for the usual 15 minutes, or was it more?

This was posted before, although I can't recall the topic title. My thought was gear oil alone wouldn't do this, something else went on.

Edit: Here's the old post.

Last edited:
18 hours out of the country, with the vehicle supposedly running fine... and he decides to not only get an oil change, but an engine flush? Why?

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
18 hours out of the country, with the vehicle supposedly running fine... and he decides to not only get an oil change, but an engine flush? Why?

+1

18 hours of highway miles is not hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Next time I see a thread asking about running gear oil through an engine to clean it......I'm linking to this.

I've heard of using transmission fluid to flush an engine.

I feel sorry for that guy.

I'm gonna guess they ran it without oil for awhile and to try and hide the noise, they figured thicker is better. gear oil should do the trick.

I have heard multiple accounts of new and/or dumb techs starting cars with no oil. since there are usually a few techs working on a car at a time, they rely on communication between them.

usually it is caught pretty quick and the customer is non the wiser. but I'd imagine if you get multiple new techs/techs that dont care, ect it could go much farther.

but shops have insurance for this....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
This is exactly why as long as my old bones can crawl under my car/truck I'll change my own oil.

...and exactly why I use whatever cars remain that i can still service while I'm willing and able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back