DIY or sub it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sense a bit of chest beating, testosterone induced sense of pride for those of us that do a fair amount of our own automotive work. It is good to be self reliant.

However, sometimes it is just good common sense and decision making to let someone else do the work. Lack of time, knowledge/skills, special tools requirements, or other circumstances make it prudent to get the work done by someone else.

There's no shame in letting other good mechanics work on your vehicle, and sometimes it is the better choice.

Although I have to say I like doing some simple stuff on a vehicle so I know what's going on.

One of the reasons I like changing the oil is because I get to slide under the vehicle every few months and poke around looking for other potential problems.

We do anything here we can. About the only thing we send out are transmissions, and we pull them and deliver them, then re-install them.

Our engines are done by me, myself, and I. The three of us work well together, but we're too slow for most people.

Most stuff I do, but as I grow older and less ambitious, I do farm certain things out.
For example, I farmed out the last clutch and the last two timing belts.
These are things I did for myself before.
If I had to R&R an engine, I don't think I'd do it again.
I think I'd pay someone to do it for me.
Most of what a car needs over its life is both simple and easy.
You still save a lot of coin doing most jobs yourself, while paying someone else to do the really tough ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back