Dishwasher suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is the deal. My parents have a 20 plus year old Kenmore dishwasher. Looks like there is a small crack in the base. Now talking with people going online etc I'm getting various suggestions on what to buy. I've been told Bosch is the best of the best but what about something in the $399 range? I'm reading that the newer Kenmore's aren't what they used to be and that the newer Whirlpool are quite good. I've also been told skip Whirlpool. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Due to energy and water efficiency standards they are all basically disposable now. I would have went with a bosch except that they have a filter instead of a grinder. So we went with a Maytag. Whirlpool should be fine, I just didn't like their silverware basket layout.

kenmore, whirlpool, maytag, etc. they're the same thing. most likely coming from a whirlpool factory a bit north of me.

Lowe's has a Bosch Ascenta Black Tall Tub on sale for $449. Double check dimensions you are working with, but this Bosch is similar to the one we installed three years ago. We are extremely happy with this purchase. Cleaning the filter basket is not a big deal to us.

Yep you have quiet a few choices. Whirlpool Corporation has a few brands under their umbrella. They are Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid and Amana. Any of these are good dishwashers. Note: When buying a Whirlpool Corporation made dishwasher, look for the vent in the upper corner of the door front. GE makes good dishwashers, as well. Stay away from brands NOT MADE by Whirlpool Corporation or GE.

Whirlpool or Bosch are probably the way to go. Avoid vinyl racks, they rust almost immediately.

We got a new Whirlpool dishwasher about two years ago. The thing is very nice and so quiet. You can only tell it's running from the little green light.

Usually the good dishwashers will have a stainless steel tub, but that might be slightly out of your price range although you do see them on sale once in a while.

We installed a mid-range Bosch in the Spring (500 series) and it blows away the previous Kitchenaid we had. It will clean just about anything and is whisper quiet.

I have an 18" GE, not many options in that size, and its been perfect for 3 years. My parents have a larger Bosch, it projects the time remaining and info on the floor, its extremely quiet.

GE sold their appliance division to Haier, a Chinese company, in 2016. I bought 2 Haier products a few years ago and I returned both after a few days. I do not trust Haier products any more.

GE is NOT the company it used to be and is having major financial issues like so many other companies lately.

Whirlpool family products get my vote for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I've owned all Whirlpool appliances since 1979 and recommend them based on reliability. Worst luck was GE and Frigidaire, in my experience, that were already installed in houses I bought.

We have fairly new Whirlpool appliances (fridge, range, washer and dryer) and wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Whirlpool dishwasher. They seem to be a solid choice.

We really like are LG after having both an Amana and a Bosch. Cleans better and is quieter than either of the previous models. I prefer models with a filter compared to ones with a grinder. I feel they are more trouble free and it is very easy to clean the filter.

I've got a brand new KitchenAid and so far so good. Be aware that some dish washers don't have a heating coil in them, they dry by condensation. The final rinse uses all hot water then circulates cool air around the metal interior. The hot steam is supposed to transfer to the cooler interior walls, leaving dry dishes. Cuts electrical consumption no doubt. Mine is old school with heater element. Mine also doesn't have a grinder, just filters, which are easy to clean.

Bosch doesn't make use of a heated dry cycle......didn't work for us so we took it back and got Kitchenaid and been very happy with it for the past several years. Check with Lowes or online for models you are interested in and see ratings for quietness.

Dishwashers in general don't work as well without TSP. The missing chemical that actually left the dishes clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back