DirectTV Family plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on purpose trying to watch TV less and read more. My DirectTV is costing me close to $100/month.

I emailed them and asked what they had cheaper that maybe was not published. They came across with the Family plan for $29.99. I am considering it.

I'd love to cut my bill down too. Have you considered using an OTA antenna? If you can get a signal that is. Unfortunately I don't have the option of an outside antenna, I live in a valley and don't get anything.

Looking at the channel list: Family Plan - DirecTV

It's not even worth $29 to me, there's only a few channels I'd ever watch. I'm guessing you get the locals with it too.

Stack accounts
wink.gif

ROKU/Amazon Prime/Netflix. Maybe they are a better alternative.

Even the movies on DirectTv are expensive. I can rent a BluRay for $1.66 at Redbox and its $5.99 on ON-DEMAND.

I will promise you right now $29.99 is not going to include equipment/loads of other stuff. If TWC is an option for you you can get Standard TV (2-99) with one HD box for about $55/mo after tax. Depending on what you are doing for internet, you could get that with 15/1 for about $98 or so after taxes.

yeah....... there's like 6 Channels in there I MIGHT watch(and that includes the weather channel)....
and, perhaps not surprisingly for a package branded as "family", the religious channels are well represented, but no news channels (if you think HLN is news....you're delusional)

This is exactly what we did and we're really happy about it. We really don't miss DirecTV at all. The OTA antenna is worthwhile too.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Even the movies on DirectTv are expensive. I can rent a BluRay for $1.66 at Redbox and its $5.99 on ON-DEMAND.

That package is awful! Too bad you aren't on Dish Network, they have a Welcome Package that is $19.99 (I don't know why they call it the Welcome Package, since they only offer it to existing subscribers), but at least it includes some decent channels.

OTA antenna/netflix/roku 3/free redbox codes once a month/free dvds library

This is what I do. 8.66 a month total with taxes from the netflix. It's true, once I dropped the cable tv, I don't watch as much tv anymore. I'm glad I don't support those million dollar athletes/actors anymore. I do more around the house and learn how to DIY projects. I enjoy being more active outdoors more!

Originally Posted By: Donald

I don't have BluRay player, few times a month Redbox has a code for rent 1 get second 1 free. $1.25 for 2 movies isn't too expensive.

I have OTA antenna in the attic, I can get more than 20-25 channels. I don't get ESPN, CNN, MTV ... those are cable and/satellite only.

Yikes. $100 per month is more than my entire monthly electric bill for both the house and the shop.

We have an antenna that we use to get the local news on the occasion that we watch it. Beyond that I have no use for the idiot box, and as badly done as the news broadcasts have become, if I had to pay for them I wouldn't have them either.

To top it off my guess is that you have dozens of channels that you never watch, yet you're forced to pay for them every month as part of a "package". In other words, they're shoved down your throat by the cable/satellite company.

Is it any wonder that most people are disgusted by cable and satellite providers?

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
I'd love to cut my bill down too. Have you considered using an OTA antenna? If you can get a signal that is. Unfortunately I don't have the option of an outside antenna, I live in a valley and don't get anything.

Looking at the channel list: Family Plan - DirecTV

It's not even worth $29 to me, there's only a few channels I'd ever watch. I'm guessing you get the locals with it too.

+1. I'd get an antenna and go solely OTA before I would give them $.02 for that lineup. What a joke and an insult to their customers.

I pay $130 a month for DTV. Antenna? There are many channels available here but only 3 or 4 are in English so that's not an alternative.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Yikes. $100 per month is more than my entire monthly electric bill for both the house and the shop.

We have an antenna that we use to get the local news on the occasion that we watch it. Beyond that I have no use for the idiot box, and as badly done as the news broadcasts have become, if I had to pay for them I wouldn't have them either.

To top it off my guess is that you have dozens of channels that you never watch, yet you're forced to pay for them every month as part of a "package". In other words, they're shoved down your throat by the cable/satellite company.

Is it any wonder that most people are disgusted by cable and satellite providers?

I don't think you really understand where the "package" requirement comes from, as it isn't as much the fault of the cable/satellite provider as it is the TV networks which own and sell the programming to those providers, and force them to purchase a "package" of channels in order to get rights to a specific one. Say, ESPN, which alone is the most expensive channel, but which also forces the provider to buy a [censored] of shovelware channels as well, just to get it. Assigning blame to the TV provider is largely misplaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back