Directional trend pattern, how much worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
PandaBear,

rjacket makes some great points about the Conti DWS, Pilot Sport AS, and Kumho LX. Those are all very good tires. So is the Altimax HP (which I am strongly considering as my next set).

When I buy tires, I tend to think in terms of what tire can offer me the best control (safety) in all situations I will encounter.

I live in Wisconsin, so that means that the tire must perform well in cold/wet/snowy/icy conditions as well as provide good grip and responsiveness in the dry months, with low noise and smooth ride, and overall robustness (to hold up to very bad pavement without coming apart) in fourth place.

I think you should carefully prioritize weather-ability (wet, snow, dry traction, temperature effects), handling, noise, and price (per mile?).

Basically you can then use rjacket's method to get a handle on how each of those tires fits your priorities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Win,

Do you see any significant fuel economy drop with the RE960AS? Is this the directional tire that you said isn't noisier than the non directional you had?

I had them on my GTO which was not what I would call a fuel economy type of vehicle. The RE960AS was dramatically quieter than the OEM tires which were some sort of B.F. Goodrich G Force something or other junk.

Based on my prior experience, if I were buying tires for one of my cars today, I would only purchase the RE960AS.

The properties directional tires have have nothing to do with wear or noise. They are all about wet (and perhaps snow) traction.

Non-directional tires will be both worse and better for both wear and noise - so chose carefully, but don't eliminate directional tire strictly due to wear or noise concerns.

Dear GOD do not buy the Fuzion HRi! I had the ZRi summer tires and they were great, but I drove a loaner car recently that had Fuzion HRi tires and they were the noisiest tires I've EVER heard. They handled decently and all, but they were INCREDIBLY noisy. Just my two cents.

Edit: It's too bad they don't make the ExtremeContact DWS in your size, as they have a UTQG of 540 A/A and they're awesome in the wet, very decent in the dry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Discount Tire/America's Tire has Riken Raptor, UTQG 520 A A (Made by Michelin) in your size with H rate for $41/ea. It's non-directional tire. RE960AS is twice as much at $84/ea at Discount Tire/America's Tire.

Rikens, Wanlis, NEXENs and nankings are used by either slimeball used car salesman or people who put $10 of gas in their car-- and Shing doesn't fit into either of those categories.

Buying any of those aforementioned tires is no different than buying and wearing a bright pink shirt because it was on sale for $2. Have some self-respect, jeez.

I have Rikens on my car and i definitely don't put $10 of gas in it. Full tank of shell 93 twice a week as a matter of fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back