Dino 10w-30 too thick for PA winter temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: sangyup81
0 degrees Fahrenheit is when I'd start to worry about 10w30 just a little bit. -20 degrees Fahrenheit and I would get that stuff out

Not like Jacksonville, FL at 110 steamy hot degrees in the summer, and some of us insist on 0W-30 in that app! *ahem HAAS* **cough**cough*ahem.*

Whatever happen to, "as thin as possible, as thick as necessary". I don't think there's anything wrong with using 0-30 in 100F summers. Nor do I think anything is wrong with using 10-30 in a 50 F Spring. If the vehicle calls for a 5w, then use 5. If it calls for 10w, then put 10. Simple....

I don't know what temperatures you're dealing with, but I'm in South Louisiana using 0w-20 so you can guess what I would recommend.
smile.gif
(And yes, I know it's not necessary. And yes, I know I can use any old dino. And no, I won't listen and you won't change my mind) I love saving posts...

Last edited:
Ideal, no. Will it work, yes. 10w30 was the common choice for a long time, even up here in Minnesota in the winter. Does a 5w30 work better? No doubt about it! Is it necessary in the PA climate? No.

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
If the vehicle calls for a 5w, then use 5. If it calls for 10w, then put 10. Simple....

But then what horse would this forum have to beat on a daily basis if they did that?
grin.gif

Personally I think running whatever the manufacturer specs is the best bet.
If the manufacturer specs different oil weights that all fall into the climate you live in, pick the one that is on sale and drive on.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
If the vehicle calls for a 5w, then use 5. If it calls for 10w, then put 10. Simple....

Not really, when there is no effective difference until you see cold. mfg could have many different reasons for a recommendation that can become obsolete or inapplicable.

Any place where it can get to 0F is a place where i would want to be using synthetic for cold starts, the flow of conventional at these temps is concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back