Different size hubs - hub-centric rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of replica wheels but it seems that the wheels have at least 2 different hub sizes.

My plan is to obviously buy rings for each wheel, when I remove my wheels tomorrow to add anti-seize I'll measure them to be exact.

Has anyone seen this before?

And also, can not using hub-centeric rings be a cause of high-speed vibrations? I dont mean to sound ignorant and I WILL order some rings from tirerack tomorrow, but how can not being the same size of the cars hub have such a big impact? TIA

They are critical on BMWs. Hubcentric rings are crtical as the hub centers the wheel, not the lug bolts. Without hubcentric rings you will get vibrations at most any speed above 50 mph. Tirerack is a good choice ring purchase.

For example, the e39 bmw( 1997-2003)had a larger hub than oterh BMWs. If you want to use e39 wheels on an e34 (1988-1995) BMW rings are required.

I am looking at pics online of "hubcentric". And Im pretty sure the middle hole is the same size between the wheel and the hub.

BUT the outside of the hub diameter is what differs. This is what I am concerned about. Are we talking about the same thing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjfx
I am looking at pics online of "hubcentric". And Im pretty sure the middle hole is the same size between the wheel and the hub.

BUT the outside of the hub diameter is what differs. This is what I am concerned about. Are we talking about the same thing?
Heres a cut away view, the center bore hole of the wheel is an exact fit for the hub, thus a hub centric wheel. The mounting pad surface doesn't always match exact, an non issue.
tech-wheelterms.gif

I see. I was worried about the surface initially. I will check the hub and try to find out why its vibrating

mjfx,

The quick and dirty check for hub centric fit is to slid the rim onto the hub and try to move it sideways. If I remember the clearance is a couple thousandths, so if you detect movement, it isn't hub centric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back