Different countries specifies different oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why different counties specifies different weights of oil?
For example take my nissan versa/tiida....in the US the manufacturer manual states to use 5w30 or 10w30, while in the Caribbean for the same exact car the manufacturer manual states that up to 20w50 oils are ok to be used in the car.

WHY?? :-(

Last edited:
In warmer climates, thicker oils are specified for the best protection.

Temps in most of the US can get very cold & a lighter/thinner oil will be specified so the oil will flow through the engine better at cold temperatures.

The Caribbean has higher temperatures than most of the US & thicker oils protect better at higher temperatures.

Another possible factor is CAFE fuel economy standards by the United States Government. Thinner oils are often specified in the US to increase fuel economy - although the fuel economy increase is so small that it isn't noticeable to the average car owner.

But wouldn't summer temperatures be as the same as the caribbean?
and take for example again my nissan tiida/versa, the manual states to use 10w30 - 20w50 what grade oil would be considered to best for used? atm im using 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
But wouldn't summer temperatures be as the same as the caribbean?
and take for example again my nissan tiida/versa, the manual states to use 10w30 - 20w50 what grade oil would be considered to best for used? atm im using 10w40.

You are fine using 10w40 for where you are located.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
It's all about CAFE. Nothing more.

I believe we've gotten better oils because of it,though.

I agree, oil has evolved nicely.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Why different counties specifies different weights of oil?

WHY?? :-(

Countries don't specify oils, the manufactures specify oils for their drivetrains.

Different environmental temperatures, different driving styles, and warranties dictate oil viscosity specifications.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

Temps in most of the US can get very cold & a lighter/thinner oil will be specified so the oil will flow through the engine better at cold temperatures.

The Caribbean has higher temperatures than most of the US & thicker oils protect better at higher temperatures.

Another possible factor is CAFE fuel economy standards by the United States Government. Thinner oils are often specified in the US to increase fuel economy - although the fuel economy increase is so small that it isn't noticeable to the average car owner.
Cars are specced for oil weights across the board in the U.S. That means Maine cars get 0w20 and so do Phoenix cars. I live in the hottest city in the U.S.

It isn't even hot in the Caribbean

CAFE requires that the oil that the car is certified with is the oil that the owners use, and they must make every effort to ensure that the owners use it.

Thus the one size fits all in the manuals, and the viscosity written on the filler cap.

If i had a modern Nissan in South America i would definetly rather use a full synthetic 30 grade than a [censored] group 1 20w50 dino like the ones that are fairly common in South America even if it were allowwd by the owners manual

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I was gonna say, isn't that like San Diego weather over there ?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Cars are specced for oil weights across the board in the U.S. That means Maine cars get 0w20 and so do Phoenix cars. I live in the hottest city in the U.S.

I do agree with this. The engine has a cooling system.. Therefore, a competent 0W-20 will probably protect better than a thicker oil under anything but the most extreme use anywhere on earth.

Paging CATERHAM

Air-cooled would likely be different due to when the car is not in motion and etc.

At the time car manufacture spec certain oil for certain country, they may spec the oil type/grade available for that country. It doesn't make sense to spec an oil that isn't available.

Also, how the car is used is one of the importance factors in specifying appropriate oil spec.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
At the time car manufacture spec certain oil for certain country, they may spec the oil type/grade available for that country. It doesn't make sense to spec an oil that isn't available.

THAT old chestnut...if it was for the reasons of longevity like some claim, they could MAKE the oil available...

Seriously, Toyota could ship an entire Prius anywhere in the world, but can't find a way to fill the trunk with bottles of TGMO ?

laughable...moreso now than when it was first posited.

How does a water/coolant cooled engine run hotter in a warm climate? It won't by much assuming the cooling system is working. The only difference is for cold starts.

Your comment about the Caribbean doesn't make sense.

If a country has 9000 ppm of sulphur in their fuel and they don't even import GDI vehicles into that country ( I know Hyundai and others operate like this with regard to GDI vehicles ) then it might make sense that a different grade of oil would be specified versus the U.S. and the CAFE conspiracy...inclusive of or independent of climate. I laugh when posters break out the equivalent of the Bolivian or Uzbekistan owners manuals as proof of the CAFE conspiracy..."Look, they spec 10w-40 which is what the U.S. would specify if we didn't have CAFE". All things are equal after all on BITOG even if we don't know what they are...hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back