Difference in Pennzoil platium and ultra???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubtful, but no one can say for sure.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Does anybody know if Ultra will ever be produced in a 0w-20 version?

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Doubtful, but no one can say for sure.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Does anybody know if Ultra will ever be produced in a 0w-20 version?

I'm curious....why would you say it's doubtful?

Many people here think the GTL base oil doesn't have the property profile to satisfy 0w20, only 5w20. If it could, there would be no reason to not have 0w20. SOPUS has 0w20 in the other top synthetic lines, all the more reason to have it in PU. Here we are after years of PU being on the market and not even a hint of it being produced. With the PDS scouts scouring the shell site, they usually find it months before commercial product comes online.

I would not be surprised if some Shell engineer is in a lab somewhere working on it. In the mean time, I no longer have a thirsty horse in this game. I'll just be content to be a spectator.

Apple? Orange?

My 335i can reach 155, but not 160....

If the 5w30 could pass the 0w30 requirements, it would have to be labeled 0w30. (Oft stated by a knowledgeable member, apologies for stealing it).

The PU 5w30 properties are a huge reason that it is my favorite 5w30 and I will use it for as long as I can in my new truck...

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Many people here think the GTL base oil doesn't have the property profile to satisfy 0w20, only 5w20.

Ah, but if you look at the actual measured properties of Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 here: Test results of 5w30 synthetic oils, you will see that its viscosity at -30° C. is by far the lowest of the 17 oils in the test.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Right on. I guess the only place we will be able to find that is at a dodge dealer.

Almost anything you can buy from a Dodge dealer's parts department you can also buy from a Chrysler dealer's parts department for only 15% to 120% more. ...or maybe that's just around here?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

That's pretty cool. Chrysler has its own oil, and made by Pennzoil.

According to Pennzoil, its 'Co-engineered' with Chrysler specifically for the SRT vehicles. Before the Chrysler/SOPUS factory fill and racing sponsorship alliances, Chrysler used M1 0w40. They had to use PU Euro 5w40 there for about a model year before PU 0w40 was rolled out last summer.

No one commented on my comment about the LACK of approvals and ratings other than Chrysler's single (albeit stringent, from what I hear) MS-12633. Chrysler alone, and then the very small percentage of Chrysler vehicles that are SRTs, is a dang small market niche! I wonder of other approvals will follow, or if they're going to cede the 0w40 market to M1?

FWIW, I ordered a 6-pack online and had it here in 3 days. Today I was out and about so I checked the local Dodge dealer, and they also have it in back (not Mopar branded like all their other oils, its just straight-up Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 in the same bottle shown above.) So I picked up the 7th quart, an RP oil filter, and went ahead and changed the oil... mainly because I noticed that the Carmax guys changed it before I picked it up last month (at only 1600 miles it didn't really need it) and I wasn't sure what they might have put in it. Its got 3024 miles as of today. They used a Carquest white filter (Wix-built, IIRC).

A few shots under the belly of the beast:

RP filter installed on the oil-to-water cooler. Note the use of 1960s Street Hemi Orange paint on the block... nice touch, Mopar!

69E6C039-3F10-412E-A5BB-2402958FF0FB-2066-0000026E8F3F240C_zpsda9b7cc2.jpg

And the obligatory fill shot:

543CE11D-8534-47E8-AD19-FABF9ED7AA64-2066-0000026E7E6DDD54_zps35624e15.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back