Difference in oil filters?

If the aftermarket meets or exceeds oe they cant say squat.
The dealer could technically deny the factory warranty if they can prove (or simple think, then you'd have ro dis-prove) that an aftermarket filter caused the damage. Goes with any aftermarket part with respect to a factory warranty.

They can't deny warranty on the whole vehicle due to using an aftermarket part. Some makers like Ford have denied warranty on something by making excuses to get out of warranty coverage, which is wrong and against the Magnuson Moss warranty act. Example: I've heard Ford deny warranty on the power window motor failing because the ECU had a tune. How can a tune cause a power window motor to fail? It can't, and Ford is abusing the MM warranty act in a case like that.

Last edited:
The dealer could technically deny the factory warranty if they can prove (or simple think, then you'd have ro dis-prove) that an aftermarket filter caused the damage. Goes with any aftermarket part with respect to a factory warranty.

They can't deny warranty on the whole vehicle due to using an aftermarket part. Some makers like Ford have denied warranty on something by making excuses to get out of warranty coverage, which is wrong and against the Magnuson Moss warranty act. Example: I've heard Ford deny warranty on the power window motor failing because the ECU had a tune. How can a tune cause a power window motor to fail? It can't, and Ford is abusing the MM warranty act in a case like that.
Well a tune is not replacing an oe item with one that has been marketed to meet or exceed a manufacturers specifications. I get what you're saying it sounds queer that a performance tune of an ecu can cause a power window motor to fail. To Ford they see the vehicles electrical and whatever is related electrically to have been modified.

Well a tune is not replacing an oe item with one that has been marketed to meet or exceed a manufacturers specifications. I get what you're saying it sounds queer that a performance tune of an ecu can cause a power window motor to fail. To Ford they see the vehicles electrical and whatever is related electrically to have been modified.
It just goes to show that some car makers will abuse the Magnuson Moss warranty act to get out of doing warranty work. The ECU tune is not "OEM" is what it boils down to. An ECU tune by someone else (a tuner) is aftermarket software. The engine ECU has nothing to do with a power window motor power or control.

It's basically like them denying warranty on a bad shock absorber if someone put some aftermarket speakers in the cabin.

Last edited:
"It just goes to show that some car makers will abuse the Magnuson Moss warranty act to get out of doing warranty work. "

Add the capriciousness of the dealer to any claim.
I'd bet dealers, even though they get paid for warranty work, get marginal profits from many "book allowances" and will lie to blow you off.

I can’t find part # in manual. From
The sounds of it, all 3 of these filters would work as the F1 was the original, superseded by F2 and N1 very recently.
That's odd, isn't it? I also pulled the owner's manual for your vehicle and there is not one reference to an oil filter in that manual, in 750 pages! It speaks to the oil, and not one mention of an oil filter part number. (kind of a crappy effort by Toyota if you ask me; I suppose they want you to walk into the parts department, for obvious reasons).

I guess ask the dealer parts guy for the most updated one and make sure to save the receipt from the purchase.

That's odd, isn't it? I also pulled the owner's manual for your vehicle and there is not one reference to an oil filter in that manual, in 750 pages! It speaks to the oil, and not one mention of an oil filter part number. (kind of a crappy effort by Toyota if you ask me; I suppose they want you to walk into the parts department, for obvious reasons).

I guess ask the dealer parts guy for the most updated one and make sure to save the receipt from the purchase.
Exactly. Isn’t that strange!

Not so sure about that, unless you changed oil every 3,000 miles or less. Cleaner oil always means less wear is going on, and the longer you run the dirtier oil the more wear happens ... every study on engine wear will conclude that. You keep saying this, but never have anything technical like an SAE study or similar to back up this on-going claim.
Real life, Working fleet operations there is no difference.

Real life, Working fleet operations there is no difference.
Depends on the maintenance level and periods between maintenance operations. It's pretty well known and a verified fact that the dirtier the oil is and the longer the dirty oil is ran, the more engine wear there is. People who run very long OCIs with very inefficient oil and air filters are wearing out the engine faster than if they ran shorter OCIs and/or used more efficient air and oil filters.

What oil filter specs do manufacturers call out? Thread size and pitch, adbv yes or no, and bypass yes or no, maybe with a value for bypass, and physical sizes. If somone makes oil filters to meet OE specs that’s all it has to adhere to.
The mileage advice maufacturers give between oil filter changes isn’t a spec. The aftermarket can pick their own grams per mile or test a hundred OE filters for holding capacity. But it isn’t a factory spec unless the factory specs it, which they don’t. They don’t tell holding capacity or the factor they use for average grams per mile. Fram guy used to say Fram uses one gram per thousand miles.

What oil filter specs do manufacturers call out?
Well, at least Ford calls out USCAR-36 which has all kinds of oil filter specs/requirements to meet. Other car manufactures may also have a similar spec for the oil filters to meet or exceed.

Well, at least Ford calls out USCAR-36 which has all kinds of oil filter specs/requirements to meet. Other car manufactures may also have a similar spec for the oil filters to meet or exceed.
True. We now can theorize all “Meets OE“ filters go through USCAR-36. Good point. Oil filters are so exciting, all day and night people think about them.

Back