DI intake valve deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
ikolbyi : That Audi A6 constituted too much drama ! I spoke to a Hyundai mechanic who said they start seeing DI engines come in for an upper intake cleaning around 30K miles ...Can't say what gas or oil they used nor can I comment on the OCI but they are described as coming in with carbon / gunk build up ...Went on to add that PFI engines at most would need a throttle body cleaning at 30K miles ... Does make you wonder if DFI cars have their warranties rolled back a few miles and how many DFI engines will you see that make it to 300K miles without a bunch of finicky upkeep ?

Originally Posted By: ikolbyi
The fuel additive did help in conjunction with the oil. Aside from the excessive carbon build up issue, the only costs I put into the car was breaks and tires. I put the key in and it was 100% reliable. But the excessive valve cleanings was crushing my wallet and I was tired of having to special order oil and adding fuel additives so frequently, so as soon as I hit 100,000 miles I said goodby.

I made 40K wth my CC, no issues ever. I do drive this car very hard, and it sees redline several times a day. I think aggressive driving with high rpms for extended period helps.
I do not mind ordering top notch oil at all, nor I consider $103 to be expensive for 12ltr of M1 5W30 ESP.
I never had misfiring, oscilating rpm's etc.
On my wifes Tig, we relaced manifold 1K after we bought it. I do think main culprit there was Castrol 5W40 that owner used previously.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
The fuel additive did help in conjunction with the oil. Aside from the excessive carbon build up issue, the only costs I put into the car was breaks and tires. I put the key in and it was 100% reliable. But the excessive valve cleanings was crushing my wallet and I was tired of having to special order oil and adding fuel additives so frequently, so as soon as I hit 100,000 miles I said goodby.

I made 40K wth my CC, no issues ever. I do drive this car very hard, and it sees redline several times a day. I think aggressive driving with high rpms for extended period helps.
I do not mind ordering top notch oil at all, nor I consider $103 to be expensive for 12ltr of M1 5W30 ESP.
On my wifes Tig, we relaced manifold 1K after we bought it. I do think main culprit there was Castrol 5W40 that owner used previously.

My driving style is aggressive. There was something wrong with that engine, even the dealership mechanics never saw it that bad and had Germany involved. I currently own a Q5 2.0T without issues (as of this posting).

Originally Posted By: edyvw

My driving style is aggressive. There was something wrong with that engine, even the dealership mechanics never saw it that bad and had Germany involved. I currently own a Q5 2.0T without issues (as of this posting).

Yeah could be that specific engine. I bought CC used, now have 62K, use High-SAPS oil every time, but never experienced what you did.
I am going to try Mobil1 ESP in my car since it is out of warranty and then do UOA. If TBN stays within limits I will start using it in Tiguan too (it is under warranty).
What was your experience with Castrol LL-03?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back