Dexcool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you would only have problems with the warranty if it was coolant system related.

One thing I noticed, I used a Fel-Pro LIM gasket set and I will tell you, the Fel gaskets are far superior to the ones I removed. Even visually they are stronger, thicker, and overall better built. The LIM gaskets I removed from my 4.3 had failures around the back coolant passages and it looked like it was starting to fail the front too.

I am glad the new V6s don't have the gasket related issues anymore because fully flushing a system of dexcool is not fun.
Hah, replacing a LIM is not fun either!

As far as the warranty goes I maintain dex in my 05 cause I asked the dealer if I put old fasioned green if it would voild the warranty. The short answer was yes. There are many things that can go wrong with a coolant system. Many are very common, you dont want your warranty voided cause your water pump failed.

Last edited:
I think the answer is GM is to far invested in Dexcool and probably has its use all figued out. If they switched now it could just open them up to more possible liability or seem to be an acknowledgement that dexcool was a mistake. I don't think licensing has anything to do with it. They could always adopt a different AF and license it, so that is a non-issue. Licensing is actually a good thing.

The truth is if you take in account of certain factors Dexcool actually works quite good. I personally think GM should switch to some type of non 2-EHA formula that doesn't have a questionable reputation. and maybe other OEMs will follow suit (probably not though). I miss the days like before '95-'96 when you could put one AF, like Green, in anything and there was no real worries about any potential issues.

I used Prestone AMM when I replaced the L-I-M gasket in my 3.1 Buick. I now believe that 2-EHA degrades gaskets and should be avoided in applications where the A/F comes into contact with the gasket. Do we know if Prestone AMM has the same concentration of 2-EHA as original Texaco Dexcool? I will be using PEAK GL when I flush/refill/change OE hoses next spring.

Well I haven't seen Dexcool degrade all gasket. Certain "rubber" gaskets like O-rings for coolant pipes, T-stat etc common in your application and the rest, paper gasket like around the water pump, and water hoses, the plastic radiiator do not seem to be degraded at all. The original IMG used up through '03 is a different story. What is left if anything is the headgasket and probably the most important gasket and they seem to be compatible.

I can't say if Prestone AM, or for that matter Prestone and Zerex's licensed Dexcool, has the same level of 2-EHA as the original Texaco Dexcool. I don't even know for sure if the original Texaco is the same level as the current Texaco. I think all the Dexcools can slightly vary in formula but they all have similar levels of 2-EHA because that is what mostly makes them work. I think Prestone AM is the same thing and probably the same amounbt of 2-EHA as their Dexcool licensed product.

So while I'm not sure if it's necessary if you changed the IMG, if you really want to get away from 2-EHA you would have to go with a different coolant entirely like PGL or whatever.

The problem with going with Asian formula is no FS. The block drains are too hard to get to. So unless you use a coolant exchanger, you would have to spend hours doing a boatload of radiator fill and drains with several gallon of the Asian premix to flush the Dexcool out. But of course with PGL as long as your water is decent you could get a good and quick flush with a T-flush.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I will be using PEAK GL when I flush/refill/change OE hoses next spring.
Hey, if you have a Pep Boys nearby the Peak Professional Lifetime is supposed to the same stuff as PGL. A member emailed Old World/Peak and they said it was. It's on special (rebate) till the new year. I was in Walgreens today and only saw 1 jug of 50/50 PGL, hard to find.

If I needed to do a flush I'd give it go, but that's me. It's worth a look see, IMO. http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys/Def...92&offerid=

091115_p2_BALT_UTAH_cmb_5.JPG

You know what's funny? G-05 users never have these discussions. They never have to guess if the IMGs are going to be affected by their coolant choice, they never have to guess if 2EHA dissolves plastic and rubber, G-05 users never have to guess if they have the correct radiator cap, they never have to guess if their coolant will turn to brown sludge if the system gets air in it. They never have to guess if GM V-8s are affected by it. They never have guess if Havoline or GM has changed the formula in G-05. They never have to guess if they used the correct replacement IMG or if they need to replace their IMG.

You know why they don't have to guess about those things? 'CAUSE IT DON'T MATTER IF YOU USE G-05 !!

Dexcool didn't get it's reputation by accident -- It's bad rep was well earned.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
You know what's funny? G-05 users never have these discussions. They never have to guess if the IMGs are going to be affected by their coolant choice, they never have to guess if 2EHA dissolves plastic and rubber, G-05 users never have to guess if they have the correct radiator cap, they never have to guess if their coolant will turn to brown sludge if the system gets air in it. They never have to guess if GM V-8s are affected by it. They never have guess if Havoline or GM has changed the formula in G-05. They never have to guess if they used the correct replacement IMG or if they need to replace their IMG.

You know why they don't have to guess about those things? 'CAUSE IT DON'T MATTER IF YOU USE G-05 !!

actually there were a couple of posts a month or two back that g-05 was failing multiple thermostat o rings.

Originally Posted By: defektes

actually there were a couple of posts a month or two back that g-05 was failing multiple thermostat o rings.

Compared to millions of failed GM engines because of Dexcool? Not quite apple and oranges would you say?

Besides it would just leak some G-05 coolant, not turn to brown frickin' cement like Dexcool !!

Last edited:
Yeah people might be able to say G-05 is a simpler choice with less potential problems. You could say the same thing for Green. But they can't say for sure that it is the absolute best choice or the best coolant. G-05 has possibly borates and nitrites in it. I'll probably just stick with Dex-cool, but if I did change, I'm looking for something besides just G-05.

Originally Posted By: defektes

Compared to millions of failed GM engines because of Dexcool? Not quite apple and oranges would you say?

Besides it would just leak some G-05 coolant, not turn to brown frickin' cement like Dexcool !!

no not apples and oranges but you do make it sound like it is good for every vehicle under the sun.

every coolant has its pros and cons.

MILLIONS? That sounds a little inflated.

And you obviously haven't heard a peep about all the problems Chrysler had with coolant sludge build up in their late 06 and on 6.1 liter engines.

G-05 will not save the world. Not even a MILLION gallons!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And you obviously haven't heard a peep about all the problems Chrysler had with coolant sludge build up in their late 06 and on 6.1 liter engines.

You're right, I haven't heard that. Details please, I'm curious. What's different that afflicts the 6.1 and not the 5.7? The aluminum vs plastic IM?

In regards to the 6.1, it supposedly has something to do with the extra heat that engine makes. Last I heard, it wasn't sludge but rather small clumps of white stuff in the overflow tank. Some think the silicates in Moper's G-05 are to blame. Others think it is left over casting sand from engine manufacturing. The casting sand sounds more likely.

Having seen two of these engines I can tell you this flat out: NOT casting sand or debris.

A unique ammonia odor in the affected cars, looks kinda like cottage cheese clumps. My car was not involved as it is a very early 06 made in august 05. Only a narrow range of cars were affected.

And this engine runs a 203 thermostat, so no "extra" heat is involved. Also note no engine failures due to it despite huge blockage of water jackets/passages.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Hey, if you have a Pep Boys nearby the Peak Professional Lifetime is supposed to the same stuff as PGL. A member emailed Old World/Peak and they said it was. It's on special (rebate) till the new year. I was in Walgreens today and only saw 1 jug of 50/50 PGL, hard to find.

If I needed to do a flush I'd give it go, but that's me. It's worth a look see, IMO. http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys/Def...92&offerid=

I found 2 gallons of this PEAK Professional Lifetime A/F at a Pepboys in Brooklyn yesterday and when I went to the register they rang up for $47.XX. It was 21.99 each plus the outrageous NYC sales tax of nearly 9%. The girl said the rebate was a mail in type. I ended up passing on the Peak at that price.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Having seen two of these engines I can tell you this flat out: NOT casting sand or debris.

A unique ammonia odor in the affected cars, looks kinda like cottage cheese clumps. My car was not involved as it is a very early 06 made in august 05. Only a narrow range of cars were affected.

And this engine runs a 203 thermostat, so no "extra" heat is involved. Also note no engine failures due to it despite huge blockage of water jackets/passages.

Yeah, I don't buy "extra heat" from a 6.1 just because its a 6.1.

If there's an oddball smell AND it falls within a narrow window of manufacturing time, you have to wonder if some chemical used in a manufacturing step (not necessarly of the block- could be a sub-component) wasn't completely washed out prior to assembly and thus reacted with the coolant.

OR if some line worker was particularly angry at Chrysler's (mis)management during that time (nah, that'd NEVER happen...).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac

I found 2 gallons of this PEAK Professional Lifetime A/F at a Pepboys in Brooklyn yesterday and when I went to the register they rang up for $47.XX. It was 21.99 each plus the outrageous NYC sales tax of nearly 9%. The girl said the rebate was a mail in type. I ended up passing on the Peak at that price.

Huh? They tried to skin you, for sure. The add says reg. price $9.99. I have no idea where they came up with that price, but other members have bought the product as advertised. $9.99 is very reasonable, IMO and a BOGO would be even better. I wouldn't pay the price they quoted you either. Of course this is in NC, and that is Brooklyn, NY, that likely explains the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back