Deviate from recommended 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If a 0W supercedes all 5/10/15/20W oils,why are those viscosities still made and recommended/spec'd?

Oil changes are going to be cheaper on a Ford Focus where you can run Mobil Super 5000 5w-20 (it meets ford specs) than a Honda Civic where you have to buy a synthetic 0w-20.

I have been using M1 0-20AFE in both Fords for several years. Both engines perform very well and I wouldn't use anything else.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Use 0w-20, but in the summer months, throw in a half-bottle of STP Oil Treatment, which basically just thickens the oil a little.

It's basically just hopes and dreams in a bottle. No manufacturer ever recommends any type of snake oil and the only reason it's sold is because people buy it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't know why everyone always thinks they know more than the engineers who designed the cars.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Your son's 2010 Mariner isn't going to have a 5.0L v8 - it's going to be the 4.6L v8.

Mariner?

Didn't he say Mountaineer?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Use 0w-20, but in the summer months, throw in a half-bottle of STP Oil Treatment, which basically just thickens the oil a little.

It's basically just hopes and dreams in a bottle. No manufacturer ever recommends any type of snake oil and the only reason it's sold is because people buy it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't know why everyone always thinks they know more than the engineers who designed the cars.

I think of it as "clean sludge"....LOL, just kidding, there must be a useful purpose for it...I just can't think of one right now.

Any would work, 0w-20 is what I would personally use all year round.

Yes, 0w-20 works just fine in the summer...why people still think you have to replace it with 5w-20 in the summer is beyond me.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Any would work, 0w-20 is what I would personally use all year round.

Yes, 0w-20 works just fine in the summer...why people still think you have to replace it with 5w-20 in the summer is beyond me.

+1 the 5w does nothing to change anything just because it's warm outside.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You're a BITOGer and you're asking this!?

Use the 0w20!

+1

I run 5w20 currently but the next change I'll be going to 0w20.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have been using M1 0-20AFE in both Fords for several years. Both engines perform very well and I wouldn't use anything else.
Same here; I have used M1 0W-20 AFE and M1 0W-20 EP in my FX4 (which has the larger version of the 4.6L) and it worked flawlessly. I would use the 0W-20 without thinking twice.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I'd run the 0W-20 without even thinking twice. ...

^this.

You could use any of the grades you've named without any harm.
The Ford cammer originally had 5W-30 recommended for it, so I'd seriously doubt that it would do any harm to use it.
Engines just don't seem to be all that sensitive to differing grades of oil and it's not like you'd be using 15W-50.
Does anyone else recall a now departed member from Kentucky, IIRC, who used M1 15W-50 in everything including small-motor Asian cars and had nothing but good results to report?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You could use any of the grades you've named without any harm.
The Ford cammer originally had 5W-30 recommended for it, so I'd seriously doubt that it would do any harm to use it.
Engines just don't seem to be all that sensitive to differing grades of oil and it's not like you'd be using 15W-50.
Does anyone else recall a now departed member from Kentucky, IIRC, who used M1 15W-50 in everything including small-motor Asian cars and had nothing but good results to report?

Was that Frank?? Whatever happened to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back