Denso Iridium Power A+++

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed these last Friday, and I'm totally in love with them. The car starts quicker than with the NGK Iridium IX plugs. I think this is due to Denso using 0.4mm center electrode. Throttle response was very good also.

I know this is not a placebo affect because the previous NGK plugs only had 15k miles on them. They were practically spotless when I pulled them.

I think the new Denso plugs have helped with starts and minimizing stress in the coil pack and started.

Highly recommend. Their a bit pricey, but they're the best

Vehicle is 2008 Legacy 2.5i

the Iridium IX's and the Powers are 2 different plugs. the IX's are good for about 60-100k miles but the Powers are only good for maybe 30k, they are the ones with the 0.4mm electrode. I'm running a set now.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/cars_trucks_suvs/iridiumix.asp?nav=11420&country=US says 0.6 mm.

The IX plugs lack the U Groove that the Iridium power has

p1-1.jpg

p1-6.jpg

I don't think I'll ever buy the IX plugs again.

Originally Posted By: Shar

The IX plugs lack the U Groove that the Iridium power has. I don't think I'll ever buy the IX plugs again.

the Iridium IX's are fine plugs that last a long time. I really can't tell much of a difference at all between my IX's and my Powers except for the fact that I have to change the Powers I have in the next year or two.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17

The IX plugs lack the U Groove that the Iridium power has. I don't think I'll ever buy the IX plugs again.

the Iridium IX's are fine plugs that last a long time. I really can't tell much of a difference at all between my IX's and my Powers except for the fact that I have to change the Powers I have in the next year or two.

Yes, there is a price to pay for that ultra-fine center electrode (especially if one has a car with PITA to change plugs, doing this job HALF, or less, as much is a BIG deal!!
wink.gif
).

The thing is with modern cars, it is very difficult to notice differences when "correctly spec'd" spark plug is installed in the vehicle. A double blind study would prove that easily because either the electronic ignition has enough oomph to fire the plug or not. In almost all the cases, the ignition systems can easily fire a plug even when the gap has doubled. If the plug has oil or carbon on it, then it is a different story.

However, logic has very little to do when we claim "my car likes X". I fall for it all the time :)

- Vikas

U groove plugs have been around for decades.
I don't use them because It has a dead air space that does not flow well.
I back file the ground electrode on normal plugs[even with precious metal tips] even with the center electrode to help flow in/out.
New plugs are great, aren't they? Even fresh 1960s steel ones work fantastic when new and sharp!

I'm not sure why Denso suggests changing Power plugs at 30k miles. They sell something called Iridium Tough plugs, which use the same .4mm center electrode, but the Tough plugs have no U Groove. I find it strange that they only sell Iridium Tough overseas.
confused.gif

Tough.jpg

Last edited:

I'm not sure why Denso suggests changing Power plugs at 30k miles. They sell something called Iridium Tough plugs, which use the same .4mm center electrode, but the Tough plugs have no U Groove. I find it strange that they only sell Iridium Tough overseas.
confused.gif

Tough.jpg

That's Denso's version of the long lasting, iridium/platinum pad on the ground electrode, NGK Iridium Laser plugs.

Although Denso kept the uber-fine center electrode, it WILL last longer than their Power plugs.
wink.gif

Will it last as long as the NGK Lasers? I have NO idea.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

confused.gif

Tough.jpg

That's Denso's version of the long lasting, iridium/platinum pad on the ground electrode, NGK Iridium Laser plugs.

Although Denso kept the uber-fine center electrode, it WILL last longer than their Power plugs.
wink.gif

Will it last as long as the NGK Lasers? I have NO idea.
21.gif

It seems that the U Groove is the only contributing factor in the 30k life of the Iridium Power plugs. I see no difference between the Power and Tough plugs, except the U Groove in the Power plugs.

I can't see why the U Groove would cause the plugs to only last up to 30k. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why?

Iridium XI has a usage of 40-50k according to the NGK rep. The laser iridiums are the 60-100k spark plugs.

ive been using xi for a while, excellent plugs.

Yes, there is a price to pay for that ultra-fine center electrode (especially if one has a car with PITA to change plugs, doing this job HALF, or less, as much is a BIG deal!!
wink.gif
).

I have to remove my intake manifold and various other things to get access to my back 3 plugs.

These are the plugs I have. I believe it says right on the box or on their website that they are only good for 30,000 miles.

Photo0235.jpg

and these were my IX's after about 30k

IMG_0079.jpg

wink.gif
).

I have to remove my intake manifold and various other things to get access to my back 3 plugs.

These are the plugs I have. I believe it says right on the box or on their website that they are only good for 30,000 miles.

Photo0235.jpg

and these were my IX's after about 30k

IMG_0079.jpg

They still seem to look really good. Electrodes still look almost "new"

i should have just left them alone and put them back in and not spent $9 a plug for the new Denso's but my nice paycheck got the best of me and i spent it...oh well. i might take pics of the Denso's sometime.

We've been over this whole "miracle" plug thing before and have pretty much determined, there is no such thing as miracle plugs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back