Delo 5W-40 Synthetic running higher oil pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I gave the Delo 5w40 LE and the 15w40 LE a try in my Detroit Series 60, for some reason, they both sheared pretty bad. They would drop to a 30w in an OCI. I have since moved over to Schaeffer oil and the shearing problem has gone away and I have almost doubled the OC interval. I always had high regards for Delo, but for some reason, this engine sure didn't. All other wear metals are lower with the Schaeffer also. Just one of those quirks in life. Delo has a strong reputation, that is why I ran it in the Detroit. It was really perplexing that it wasn't holding up well.
outch .the truck I drive has delo oil sticker all over for oil recommendation.

Simplistic,

I was wondering about replacing the pressure relief valve if necessary if it goes through the front cover and how difficult it was to access.

Originally Posted By: simplistic
Yes, the relief Is in the front cover. However you do not check the pressure there. You remove the sending unit, It's either on the left side of the block towards the front (01-02) or near the left engine mount.

Just unscrew the sensor and screw the manual gauge in its place.
It would be handy to have someone to help you out to rev the engine while you check the pressure.

With the same oil I see on my truck is 18psi @ idle..1800rpm 55psi

All are hot readings.
Idle-15psi min
1800rpm-42psi min

It's not that hard, the worst is getting the balancer off. It's torqued to around 275ftlb. After that it's not much different then another front cover removal.

I would highly recommend purchasing the durmax service manual.. Haynes I believe is who prints it. This way you would have all the details to look over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back