Dell offering XP again - Dimensions/Inspirons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Microsoft isn't exactly happy about this!
shocked.gif

Imagine a car dealer calling up a car company saying, "... our customers don't like the '07 models. Can you send us some leftover '06 models instead?"

LTVibe, it is a bit of kick in the MS gonads. Interesting the Dell feels confident enough to pull this off.

I like options. By Dell offering XP, that allows the consumer one more choice of OS's.

Of course, MS hates this, but oh well, the demand is definitely there for XP still...

In fact, I had a person talk with me today about an accounting app that will not run on Vista, they'll need to purchase an XP box to run it. I have a feeling she'll be calling Dell to order one real soon...

Alot of stuff isn't working with vista just yet.

Wait for SP1 to arrive, that will fix alot of stuff.

I wouldn't buy a new machine with xp, because buying vista seperate is very expensive, buying it with a 500 dollar computer makes more sense to me.

I love how MS has managed to be the number one software company with offering vintage Jaguar like "out of the box" quality.

"My Jaguar has all kinds of problems"

"Oh ..didn't you know? It's new"

Let's see ..how many "SP's" will Vista need. SP2 for XP was 75 megs. I just downloaded the update from redoing my old Toshiba Satillite. Doesn't MS send anyone home with their new OS before releasing it??

..or can the American population back charge for in the field R&D??

I bought an Inspiron 1501 last week, about 3 days before Dell announced that they were going to start shipping systems with XP again. My Inspiron came with Vista Home premium, so far it's been completely stable and reliable. The new way file sharing is enabled in Vista sucks, and a few other things are a bit harder to do than in XP, but so far I'm liking Vista. Having 2gb's of memory as my system does greatly increases Vista's usability. 1gb should be bare minimum for Vista, even for the basic versions.

That's the ticket right there, 55. RAM, and lots of it. In my PC business, I've helped several of my customers put their Vista machines back in the box to send back. Dell and Gateway would just as happily quit with the Vista, and they're considering a basic hardware spec for Vista. Dual Core CPU for starters. 2 GB of system RAM, and minimum of 256 MB of Video RAM with no more shared-resource video chipsets for Vista. Without these hardware levels, Vista is a stone dog, nearly unusable. The 5 and 6 hundred dollar machines with Vista pre-installed are so slow, again, as to be unusable.

MicroSoft should be ashamed. THIS is the best they can do? They should have boosted the hardware spec, but no, they wanted to sell OS licenses and the heck with the customers and OEM PC vendors, who are on the hook for a LOT of refunds. And to think Gates compared PCs to the auto industry recently.

Why no more shared-resource video chipsets? My Inspiron has the video 'chip' integrated into the northbridge, with shared system memory AND dedicated memory. Seems plenty fast to me, and runs the full Aero interface (although I fail to see what the big deal about Aero is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back