Decent LT tire for the highway use?

For the '15 Colorado, the On/Off Road Wranglers I got barely 2 years ago are shot. Not really happy about that even with mild driving.

Saw some Firestones that got good reviews as well as some Continental but this is new territory for me. I will say that if you live in the NE of PA that avoid the new Mavis(formerly Jack Williams) tire shops. Once the buy out went through the old knowledgeable staff left and now it's a s@#! show run by inexperienced kids. I lost my hazard warranty because of their buyout as well.

If your predominant use is on-highway then buy HT (highway terrain) tires. They're quieter, smoother, last longer, and they just fit the application better. My Nissan came with Hankook DynaPro HT tires and I liked them enough to buy a second set when the first set was worn at 90,000 miles.

The Firestone Destination LE3 tires are very highly rated but they're pricey.

If your predominant use is on-highway then buy HT (highway terrain) tires. They're quieter, smoother, last longer, and they just fit the application better. My Nissan came with Hankook DynaPro HT tires and I liked them enough to buy a second set when the first set was worn at 90,000 miles.

The Firestone Destination LE3 tires are very highly rated but they're pricey.
Those were the exact ones I looked at. Ya while it is a nice look with knobby tires, my driving does not match their use. I am never more than 50 feet from a paved road. Having a tire last close to 90k is what I really want.

Are we talking an actual LT tire, like 8-10ply? Or just a passenger tire? Either way, Michelin Defender/LTX are going to be your best bet.

Continental Terrain Contact HT,
Michelin Defender LTX MS
plenty of other good choices.
Firestone destination LE3
General Grabber HTS60

if you want a mild AT with snowflake mountain
Firestone destination AT2
yokohama geolandar g015

More aggressive
COOPERDISCOVERER AT3 4S

Last edited:
What is the stock tire size? Is it actually an LT tire?

If not an LT tire, why do you want one?

I'd agree with Tyman that if mileage is your goal, the Michelin Defender type tire is hard to beat. It compromises in other ways, but mileage is typically great.

Having a tire last close to 90k is what I really want.
I could have easily gotten 100,000 miles from the tire but I had gotten a new tire machine and I wanted to use it :) I sacrifice 1/32 or so of tread wear for the opportunity practice my tire changing skills.

I would definitely buy the Firestone tires for my next purchase if they're still produced and I think I'll put the white letters on the outside this go around. :)

1660921405986.jpg

What is the stock tire size? Is it actually an LT tire?

If not an LT tire, why do you want one?

I'd agree with Tyman that if mileage is your goal, the Michelin Defender type tire is hard to beat. It compromises in other ways, but mileage is typically great.

255/65/R17

I just assumed it had LT tires. I just assume all trucks hat LT tires but I feel I might be mistaken. Michelin & Firestone are front runners right now.

255/65/R17

I just assumed it had LT tires. I just assume all trucks hat LT tires but I feel I might be mistaken. Michelin & Firestone are front runners right now.

For the most part, unless it's a 250/2500 series truck or higher, it won't have LT tires. Some of the heavy payload package 150/1500 series trucks can be spec'd with LT tires. But for the most part , most trucks 150/1500 sized and smaller are P-metric tires.

255/65/R17

Many trucks come with "P" rated tires but have to be rated to handle the payload/towing of a truck.

For the most part, unless it's a 250/2500 series truck or higher, it won't have LT tires. Some of the heavy payload package 150/1500 series trucks can be spec'd with LT tires. But for the most part , most trucks 150/1500 sized and smaller are P-metric tires.
I see now. A very long time ago when I still had my Caprice wagon the shop put on "LT tires" but now upon reflection I see he just meant the tread style not the actual tire build. It stuck with me ever since and I just referred to any truck as having LT tires.

As stated, pretty much anything 1/2 ton or under will typically come with non-LT tires. I would not suggest moving to an LT tire unless I had a solid reason to. (Full disclosure - my 2016 F150 came with optional LT tires - for the off road tread primarily - however, most F150's don't have LT tires from the factory).

Again, for mileage - the Michelin Defender (or whatever they are these days) are good. One can argue about other aspects of the tire, but if mileage is all you care about...

Check you place card inside the drivers door and put what ever that tells you to, I'm not believer in putting

That size appears to be a LT tire, is it a Z71?

Take a look at the place card inside the drivers door to be sure.
It is a Z71 but the door placard doesn't really specify anything other than tire size & pressure.

It is a Z71 but the door placard doesn't really specify anything other than tire size & pressure.
The tire size start with a P?
or does it give a load rating?

Even full size trucks come with P-metric "light truck" tires vs actual LT tires.

I put Firestone Transforce HT's on my 2012 Ram and I really like them. They are a lot quieter than the AT's I took off.

Just my $0.02

We had 2 sets of LE2s. They were smooth, quiet, and handled great. The 2s began losing some of their wet traction, which was great when new, to “average” mid-life. The LE3 is supposed to address this with better siping. I find the LE2s to be a quieter tire than the Michelin ltx, which came to me used twice on used vehicle purchases. If you’re interested in the LE3, I’ll vouch for it.

You won't regret buying the Defender, but you might regret buying something else. It's been a category leader for a while.

If you prefer something a bit more "truck-looking", then the Conti TerrainContact seems to be at the top of the tests.

Back