Dealer service department pricing (c. 1967)

My dad was cleaning out a filing cabinet, found this relic from his youth
PXL_20230717_005035764.jpg

Thanks for sharing, fun to see!!

Google says in 1967 the average car price was $2750.

They say in 2023 its $48K - so 17.45 times as much.

Per the prices above, a basic motor oil change that was $5.95 should now be $103.85. The Toyota dealer here is $85.00. I have heard more elsewhere. So presumably that's about right?

At my 95 Civics life span from 150k-225k I was spending about $21.95 Walmart lube on the equivalent of full service in the winter (no appeal laying on snow packed driveway)

Imagine the 12,000 mile (interval) service is actually a service or tune up. $1 more for 8 cyl, $4 more if AC.

It seems like here in 2023 some makes still have interval services based on the above business model, but nothing is actually done. Like Lexus every 5k…
I believe there is a significant benefit to having someone lift the hood and look around every 5K as most people never lift the hood anymore. Check the fluids, air the tires, look for leaks which if caught early can save a lot of trouble later.

Unfortunately rather than rolling in and having someone look around with a flashlight for 5 minutes, they automatically recommend $300 in services you probably don't need.

I believe there is a significant benefit to having someone lift the hood and look around every 5K as most people never lift the hood anymore. Check the fluids, air the tires, look for leaks which if caught early can save a lot of trouble later.

Unfortunately rather than rolling in and having someone look around with a flashlight for 5 minutes, they automatically recommend $300 in services you probably don't need.
No doubt someone should check even more often than 5k....but Lexus is a business model based on the OPs schedule of services. As an example, I bought mine used when 10 y.o. It was dealer serviced per the carfax and the Lexus portal. Also, when I got it home, it had ZERO coolant in the overflow and ZERO to be seen in the radiator. It never overheated in my 2 days of driving prior to discovery (now it's been 7 years still fine).

In the 2001-06 LS, the coolant reservoir faces backwards (viewed from driver area looking forward), and, it cannot be accessed without removing the plastic air intake. First drain interval is 10 years. As a result, no Lexus dealer even bothered to check nor top off, in 10 years. I didn't know then but the lack of any coolant to be seen was from 10 years of evaporation through the cap area.

They also routinely change 7/8 spark plugs, because the first one is obstructed by the dipstick.

So I'd never do the 5k Lexus services that cost a small fortune because they don't do anything imho....jmoymmv my wife's bff just took her 2023 in for 5k and I held my tongue lol because most don't want to hear my rant anyway

No doubt someone should check even more often than 5k....but Lexus is a business model based on the OPs schedule of services. As an example, I bought mine used when 10 y.o. It was dealer serviced per the carfax and the Lexus portal. Also, when I got it home, it had ZERO coolant in the overflow and ZERO to be seen in the radiator. It never overheated in my 2 days of driving prior to discovery (now it's been 7 years still fine).

In the 2001-06 LS, the coolant reservoir faces backwards (viewed from driver area looking forward), and, it cannot be accessed without removing the plastic air intake. First drain interval is 10 years. As a result, no Lexus dealer even bothered to check nor top off, in 10 years. I didn't know then but the lack of any coolant to be seen was from 10 years of evaporation through the cap area.

They also routinely change 7/8 spark plugs, because the first one is obstructed by the dipstick.

So I'd never do the 5k Lexus services that cost a small fortune because they don't do anything imho....jmoymmv my wife's bff just took her 2023 in for 5k and I held my tongue lol because most don't want to hear my rant anyway
Oh don't get me wrong, and believe me Lexus is far from having the market cornered on inompetance. However my guess is just like my Toyota manual - every 6 month service likely says "check all fluids". If the dealer doesn't - well thats not on the OEM.

The solution is to check yourself. Whenever I see a used car add saying "only dealer service" I laugh to myself.

If you took a basic 2023 new car back to 1967 and deflated the price and parked it at a dealer next to a basic 1967 new car, the sticker price would be about twice as much.

It would not be difficult to convince a 1967 buyer that it was worth it though.

Back