Dealer No Longer Uses Toyota Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
imho, there is no way ExxonMobil is making an oil just for Toyota. It is just not cost effective. It is most likely one of M1 existing oil plus? mix in some Toyota specified spices (moly?, etc.) ...
Even then, there is no guarantee that the dealer is using that oil. I have several experiences with one local Toyota dealership not using even the correct weight oil!!!

Also the OP is making it sound like it's the end of world using M1 ... lol
I am sure that any M1 is better than most non tgmo bulk oil that the dealers are using!

Didn't intend to. I used M1 in the '06 Avalon that we passed on to son & daughter-in-law. Worked fine. Before that I used Schaeffer's full synthetic. Can anyone make a guess which M1 the dealer is using. When I go to Wally World, there are as many M1's as (we used to say) Carter has pills. I suspect there is very little difference, just enough to justify a different bottle. I could ask but I doubt they know on any given day.

I could probably get by with just about any synthetic or semi in the Tundra since, in the 5 years I have had it, I've got just under 30K on it and I suspect that the next few years will only be less. And, I doubt that I am the only one here suffering from a touch of OCD.

Have a read on this:

Mobil Super 5W-30 (?), 2012mi, 2007 Prius T, 72424

It is a similar situation.

I’m highly skeptical that they use Mobil 1 at all it is probably some version of a Mobil oil but It is probably not M1. If they are using Mobil 1 and it is anything other than “vanilla” M1 you ought to go buy a lottery ticket.

FWIW though I have never asked a Toyota dealer, I’ve never had the slightest pushback from a GM or Ford dealer about grabbing me a sample and tossing the filter in a plastic bag for cut open when asked.

BTW, this might be of interest as well.

https://www.robinsontoyota.com/service-center/oil-change.htm

https://www.toyotaofdyersburg.com/Toyota-Oil-Change.html

Last edited:
OP,
I think your tundra (2013?) specifies 0W-20, at a minimum i am assuming the dealer is using m1 super synthetic or higher. Not sure if super is rated 10K miles or not. You should ask the dealer which one they are using!
I was confused by all M1 flavors as well. My Tundra is almost out of free dealer oil change and I am thinking of M1 EP (to continue dealer trend tgmo=M1) or Pennzoil Platinum PPPP ... My recent experiences with both oils have been very good.
If your OM specifies 10K miles or 1 year oil change, maybe dealer is using M1 EP (15K miles) but I doubted because it is an expensive oil. M1 AP (20K miles) is too much (mileage wise) for me and if I cared about fuel economy, I wouldn't get a v8 so M1 AFE is out ... I am not sure even what's in AFE but I don't care ... So I tried M1 EP in one car and so far A+++

imho, there is no way ExxonMobil is making an oil just for Toyota. It is just not cost effective. It is most likely one of M1 existing oil plus? mix in some Toyota specified spices (moly?, etc.) ...
Even then, there is no guarantee that the dealer is using that oil. I have several experiences with one local Toyota dealership not using even the correct weight oil!!!

Also the OP is making it sound like it's the end of world using M1 ... lol
I am sure that any M1 is better than most non tgmo bulk oil that the dealers are using!

Yes, Mobil makes an oil for Toyota, to Toyota's specs, and are not the only blender doing it. Idementsu (sp) is another blender that I believe looks after it for Toyota in Japan and this is not uncommon, pretty much all OEM's have their "own" oils, of course blended to a price point, by one of the majors.

The OEM will work with the blender, using the blender's product portfolio, which, with XOM, consists of all major base stocks as well as additive package components through Infineum, to come up with a product that meets their performance and price target. This is also why we see variances in different markets serviced by different blenders, as they would have their own suite of base oils and additives.

thumbsup2.gif

OVERKILL,

Assuming tgmo is out and dealers are using plain M1 and assuming tgmo had more moly ... and assuming someone is ocd, can you add some moly yourself to M1? or is a bad idea?

thumbsup2.gif

OVERKILL,

Assuming tgmo is out and dealers are using plain M1 and assuming tgmo had more moly ... and assuming someone is ocd, can you add some moly yourself to M1? or is a bad idea?

I personally don't think you are doing yourself any favours by modifying the chemistry of a fully formulated lubricant.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I personally don't think you are doing yourself any favours by modifying the chemistry of a fully formulated lubricant.

Sounds reasonable!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I have a Toyota TSB that informs service advisors/Managers that any current ILSAC spec oil in the correct grade may be called "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" This TSB was part of the back spec table allowing lighter grade oils in certain engines. I have in in my photobucket if you want to view it.

^ This may answer OP question!

If this is the case, why did Toyota wanted their own formula (e.g. group iii or whatever plus more moly, etc.) to begin with?
If tgmo was "good" for Toyota cars, why are they abandoning it now?! was it mainly marketing for more profit!

Just got back from 6 mo. checkup of 2017 Avalon. Service rep apologized for bad information. If vehicle calls for 0W20 oil, they use Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. If the vehicle is older they use M1 5W30. Took a bit of a push to get it out of him.

Tempest in a tea pot.

John

It depends what the dealer bulk buys or contracts. The Toyota dealership in Fayetteville, NC (Ft. BRAGG where i was last stationed) filled my vehicle with Valvoline. They even had the Valvoline sticker in my window with the next OCI.

Originally Posted By: crazy_raccoon
It depends what the dealer bulk buys or contracts. The Toyota dealership in Fayetteville, NC (Ft. BRAGG where i was last stationed) filled my vehicle with Valvoline. They even had the Valvoline sticker in my window with the next OCI.

Was that conventional oil or? How many miles until their next suggested OCI?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Was that conventional oil or?
If it's 0w20, then its at least a semi-syn. And if its Valvoline, its full syn 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Alamogunr
I sure don't want conventional oil and would rather have the best M1 available. I have been running my vehicles 10K miles every change for several years and hope to continue. ....I don't want to crawl under a car anymore.

Walmart oil change places will let you use off-the-shelf oil you picked out from their decent selection in-store. ...I would go into a Walmart, pick out either Mobil1 Annual Protection AP (5-quart jug plus a quart or two) or Mobil1 Extended Protection EP, as both have PAO in significant percentages, and are considered "the best M1s". Get the Annual Protection if you really want better anti-oxidants, but the EP is good too if you do less than 15k per year. Change annually in either case if under 15k for the EP, and 20k for the AP. While in Walmart, try to find a Fram Ultra oil filter for your Avalon-Tundra vehicles. Its the best oil filter, and Walmart usually has them.

There are more Walmarts within spittin' distance of each other near Alamo, TN than anywhere else on the planet, likely.

Interesting, kind of the "pole of accessibility" for Walmart.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
There are more Walmarts within spittin' distance of each other near Alamo, TN than anywhere else on the planet, likely.

Oh Yes! There are lots of WalMart's around us. Many people around here consider it a weekly pilgrimage to go to Walmart. I may try one someday.

Despite what the service advisor told me about the dealer using TGMO on any car specifying 0W20, I'm going to have a sample analyzed next year just to make sure in addition to knowing how the car is doing in general.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: crazy_raccoon

Was that conventional oil or? How many miles until their next suggested OCI?

I remember them exactly telling me they used a synthetic blend of Valvoline in 5W-20 for my oil consumption tests. The next OCI as default was another 4,500 miles. Before that I never asked but noticed the Valvoline sticker then. When I was living in Texas before i enlisted the Toyota dealership in my area used Mobil 1. I got the car new in '06 and thats when i was using the free oil changes then.

Last edited:
Oh Yes! There are lots of WalMart's around us. ... I may try one someday.
Don't do it. Because: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ .....
Actually, you and 1 guy they just found in a remote Amazon jungle tribe, are the only 2 people who haven't been to a Walmart yet.

It's the red guy on the left. His other buddies there go every week for potato chips:
nintchdbpict000004457778.jpg

Despite what the service advisor told me about the dealer using TGMO on any car specifying 0W20, I'm going to have a sample analyzed next year just to make sure in addition to knowing how the car is doing in general.
You'll know if its real TGMO 0w20, because we know the moly is way high on it, something not common at all. Idemitsu and Mazda does it; no others that I know of are at the 600+ ppm levels that are likely to be found at a dealership.

Last edited:
Oh Yes! There are lots of WalMart's around us. Many people around here consider it a weekly pilgrimage to go to Walmart. I may try one someday.

Plus no annoying upselling by them. They also clean the windshield, vacuum the interior and do a bunch of other checks. You can also add a fuel system cleaning for $10 extra when getting an oil change. They put a cleaner in the tank and another one into the intake.

oil_film_movies said:
Actually, you and 1 guy they just found in a remote Amazon jungle tribe, are the only 2 people who haven't been to a Walmart yet.

It's the red guy on the left. His other buddies there go every week for potato chips:
nintchdbpict000004457778.jpg

That's a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back