Dealer left my drain plug loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this site and how easy it is everyone all riled up. The point it that the tech left my drain plug loose. I not super mad about it because [censored] happens, people are not perfect, and nothing was hurt. I work on cars 5 days a week at work so the last thing I want to do is crawl under a car on a Saturday afternoon and get dirty along with the other reasons I stated earlier.

I work in a body shop and I have customers, insurance adjusters, 3 bosses and other techs bother me all day and I still manage to book 80 to 100 hours a week when we are rockin. So saying that I was a distraction is a useless point.

Thanks for posting this. I know of so many nightmare oil change stories. Reminds me of why no one but me services my vehicles. A free Pepsi and clean hands are more valuable than the engine that gets you to and from work?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Thanks for posting. Been doing my own oil changes since I was a teenager (and I'm in my 50's) and never left a drain plug loose. Excrement happens is no excuse.

What I HAVE done are weld inspections in a nuclear site. Since there is so much at stake, and to remove the "human factor," it is standard operating procedure to have one individual perform the inspection, and another inspector to perform the same inspection later.

This is called a "walkdown" inspection, and it is NOT to discredit anyone, call them a liar, or unqualified or dishonest...It is simply to remove this "human factor" that you refer to by saying that [censored] happens.

And I've never left a drain plug loose.

I'm not riled up. I don't think I sounded riled up-so there goes your "everybody" assessment.

If I suggested going back to the dealership with a rotary shotgun and a flamethrower you could call me riled up.

Bunny rabbits and flowers, Kira

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Let management know without casting aspersions on Steve or the dealership and see what they comeback with. I would expect the next two or three oil changes would be on them.

I will be calling Mike on Monday to talk. I'm not gonna be an [censored] about it but let him know what happened.

If you want something done correctly do it yourself.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
most garage literally fire an employ if they dont have or ask for a specific tool they don't have. Garage reputation is so low now a day(because mom and pop chop thong in the cheek fix , you would think the official dealer are very carefull

Would someone be so kind as to translate? Particularly WTH does "mom and pop chop thong in the cheek" mean?

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Particularly WTH does "mom and pop chop thong in the cheek" mean?

I don't know and I don't think I want to know.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just keep the receipts from where you bought your VSP and FRAM Ultra, and change the oil yourself. Document everything you do in terms of maintenance.

The dealership would have to prove a lack of oil changes as a reason for denying warranty work. As far as I'm concerned, it will be difficult if not impossible unless your engine is all sludged up.

That dosent work when you get a Fram Ultra for free and all my oil is from Autozone end of year sales. I cant prove anything when I bought 30+ quarts of oil at the same time for $2 a quart.

That's not true. Nothing says you have to buy your oil and filters in close proximity to your oil change date. Sales receipts for the correct oil and filters are direct evidence that can't be disputed by some hack at a dealer.

Everyone screw up sounds like he was being over worked. I'd tell them about it but be nice and understanding and id nicely mention to them he seemed over worked. Nobodies perfect if they handle the issue with dignity them I'd have no issue going back there.

In the early 1970s I used to fly regularly on a commercial airliner (a DC-6B) between Edmonton and Fort McMurray. On one of those trips the airliner turned around and headed back to Edmonton. My friends noticed that oil had been dripping off the aft edge of the wing. Just before landing there were 3 or 4 awful shudders.

Seems the mechanic had ticked off that he had tightened the oil plug but meant that he was going to tighten the oil plug. Long story short - the engine lost oil and overheated to such an extent the pilots were afraid it would catch fire if they shut it off, so they let it run. But we didn't make it back onto the ground before the engine was heavily damaged.

That Allison engine was toast and the mechanic was looking for work. I'm told the damage was $30,000, about 3 times what I made annually as a young engineer.

So it happens. And I'll bet he never made that mistake again.

I'd be subtle and let the dealership know they left a drain plug loose...

Next time, come in with your oil, filter, and a torque wrench.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

What I HAVE done are weld inspections in a nuclear site. Since there is so much at stake, and to remove the "human factor," it is standard operating procedure to have one individual perform the inspection, and another inspector to perform the same inspection later.

On a much less critical subject, the tire shop(chain) I use has a similar procedure for tightening lug nuts.

The tech who installs the tires lowers the car then walks around and torques the lugnuts to spec. He walks away, then a manager comes over, verifies the setting on the wrench, and does his own walk-around on every lug nut on the car.

That was one of the things that really "sold" me on this particular chain-it's not just one but all locations that do it.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that I retorque mine after 50-100 miles although I think this is something that many vehicles and/or wheel manufacturers now recommend as standard procedure. At least, though, knowing(and watching) the shop double check saves me from having to pull a wrench on the parking lot
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
What am I missing here? You bring your own oil and filter let them do it then drive home check the filter, check the oil level, get the socket and ratchet and check the plug, why not just throw a pan under it and do it yourself?

Because I normally do not double check there work but I had a bad gut feeling this time. To pay them $17 for labor while I stay clean, drink a free Pepsi, I don't have to dispose of the old oil, and I have a paper trail for warranty is usually worth it.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just keep the receipts from where you bought your VSP and FRAM Ultra, and change the oil yourself. Document everything you do in terms of maintenance.

The dealership would have to prove a lack of oil changes as a reason for denying warranty work. As far as I'm concerned, it will be difficult if not impossible unless your engine is all sludged up.
That doesnt work when you get a Fram Ultra for free and all my oil is from Autozone end of year sales. I cant prove anything when I bought 30+ quarts of oil at the same time for $2 a quart.

No need to have maintenance at dealer for warranty, any receipt(s) is more than enough regardless how you bought your oil and filter.

I love this site and how easy it is everyone all riled up. The point it that the tech left my drain plug loose. I not super mad about it because [censored] happens, people are not perfect, and nothing was hurt. I work on cars 5 days a week at work so the last thing I want to do is crawl under a car on a Saturday afternoon and get dirty along with the other reasons I stated earlier.

I work in a body shop and I have customers, insurance adjusters, 3 bosses and other techs bother me all day and I still manage to book 80 to 100 hours a week when we are rockin. So saying that I was a distraction is a useless point.

This is legitimate respond from you, I understand your reason for the work done at dealer now.

My case is not exactly the same as your but not too far off either.
I had my car at my trusted mechanic for replacing brake pad, I took with me part(s) and Mityvac 7201 to bleed the brake. I could do all the works in my garage in an afternoon, but I hate these mundane works: raising the car, put jack stands under the car, remove the wheels, reinstall the wheels, remove jack stands and lower the car. I don't mind doing the actual bleeding the brake, it is a easy task, fast and no mess with right tool.

So I paid $50(labor) for replacing brake pad, and I bleed brake myself(my mechanic didn't mind).

What am I missing here? You bring your own oil and filter let them do it then drive home check the filter, check the oil level, get the socket and ratchet and check the plug, why not just throw a pan under it and do it yourself?

+3

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

On a much less critical subject, the tire shop(chain) I use has a similar procedure for tightening lug nuts.

The tech who installs the tires lowers the car then walks around and torques the lugnuts to spec. He walks away, then a manager comes over, verifies the setting on the wrench, and does his own walk-around on every lug nut on the car.

That was one of the things that really "sold" me on this particular chain-it's not just one but all locations that do it.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that I retorque mine after 50-100 miles although I think this is something that many vehicles and/or wheel manufacturers now recommend as standard procedure. At least, though, knowing(and watching) the shop double check saves me from having to pull a wrench on the parking lot
smile.gif

Which tire chain is this?

It happens, which is why I prefer to do my own work. Occasionally if the weather is bad, or I get lazy I have a shop do it. Last time giving a water pump job to a shop reinforced why I shouldn't get lazy and do my own work. The aggravation I had farming it out far exceeded the aggravation I would have had doing it myself in the cold. Not to mention the money I would have saved doing it myself.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

Which tire chain is this?

Tire Discounters.

I think they are somewhat a regional chain at this point, but seem to be popping up everywhere around here.

Overall, I really like the way they do business. Despite their name, they actually will often give you the highest price of anyone else in town when you call. With that said, the price they tell you really is the "out the door" price. Their price includes installation, balancing, stems, etc, and also an alignment. I've found you end up paying as much if not more at other shops when they add on the a-la-carte but necessary extras that they never seem to include in a quote.

I've had them do a couple of sets, but most recently was on my MG. I declined the alignment since I have the parts lying around to do some front end work(gaiter boots, which of course require tie rod end removal, and also changing the tie rod ends while they're off) and there's really nothing to align on the car other than toe-in. They instead gave me a certificate for an alignment on any vehicle. Tney also had issues lug balancing my wheels, so sent me to another shop and refunded the cost of balancing there.

All in all, every experience I've had with them-at multiple chains-has been great.

Thanks. Looks like Tire Discounters are only in the Cincy area, unfortunately. Good selection of tires.

+4 really....I use a fluid extractor on my daughters Civic. I never touch the bolt. Nobody is going to pay attention to detail like you on your own car. Start your own maintenance book and DIY.

Much less stress and you save a few $$

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back