Dealer inspection videos

I didn’t know the video was a thing until now. My 2006 VW Jetta wore the rear brakes quite a bit more than the front as well.

VW got some bad pads or switched to something that didn’t work out. They extended the brake warranty on new Jettas to 24k. Mine were worn at 23k but not enough for replacement.

You might check and make sure you don’t have an extension. My dealership knew about it but didn’t offer anything up.
Unfortunatley with 41k on the clock now I am out of that however it's funny you mentioned that. I heard someone complaining about his brakes in a newer Jetta while I was there.

My dealer only shows a video of the cabin filter. I don't think they're interested in doing anything but replacing cabin filters.
Mine, too...during my last state inspection.

So, they show me a picture of the cabin filter, which means the tech had to take it out (assuming the picture is real, not generic) and when I say, “no thanks”. The tech has to put it back in?

Labor done at no profit. Makes no sense. If they charged, like $20 for the labor they were already doing by taking it out to upsell ‘em, then I might agree. But they want $50 labor to change it. So, uh, no, put it back in.

Video wont play for me.

That hasn't been a thing last time mine was into the dealer or the ford either. But i usually tell them to only mess with what they are told to and not touch anything else.

Audi brake pad and disc warranty is 6 months 6000 miles in the UK!

With these videos we find it gives the customer more confidence when repairs are needed so they are more likely to authorise repairs.

So, they show me a picture of the cabin filter, which means the tech had to take it out (assuming the picture is real, not generic) and when I say, “no thanks”. The tech has to put it back in?

Labor done at no profit. Makes no sense. If they charged, like $20 for the labor they were already doing by taking it out to upsell ‘em, then I might agree. But they want $50 labor to change it. So, uh, no, put it back in.
Exactly the same nonsense at my dealer.

It is a 1 minute job to.
Probably not even done by a certified mechanic, but a kid hired cheap to do oil and filter changes.

Next time just for curiosity sake, ask the question, is that a fully accredited tech working on my vehicle?

My dealership techs only shows my car with the hood open, and talks about the car.

IMG_0415.jpg

VW's with single piston calipers, they have a tendency to wear unevenly in the first place, since the piston is just pushing on one pad, combine with softer compounds pads for NVH...

Aftermarket ceramic pads are the way to go if you want longer life.

Last edited:

If you paid for the inspection, then it's part of the cost... but the question is, is cabin filter actually part of the state safety inspection requirements? I doubt it. So, the technician is just wasting their time examining unrelated things, unless it's part of the "Courtesy" inspection.

Audi brake pad and disc warranty is 6 months 6000 miles in the UK!

With these videos we find it gives the customer more confidence when repairs are needed so they are more likely to authorise repairs.
The US wear-item warranty as stated earlier is 12 month/12,000 miles, which is also the parts warranty when a vehicle is serviced at the dealership (such as a brake job)

If you paid for the inspection, then it's part of the cost... but the question is, is cabin filter actually part of the state safety inspection requirements? I doubt it. So, the technician is just wasting their time examining unrelated things, unless it's part of the "Courtesy" inspection.
Yes, it’s part of the “courtesy inspection” - which is a thinly disguised upsell during a state inspection of mandated components, and on which the dealership makes no money.

My cabin air filter was four months old. I replaced it anyway, and when I looked at the one in my hand, it looked different than the one in the picture.

I am just suspicious enough of this “courtesy inspection” that I marked the CAF with a sharpie, showing the date of installation.

Next year, we shall see if the filter picture I am shown came from my truck…

Or not…

Yes, it’s part of the “courtesy inspection” - which is a thinly disguised upsell during a state inspection of mandated components, and on which the dealership makes no money.

My cabin air filter was four months old. I replaced it anyway, and when I looked at the one in my hand, it looked different than the one in the picture.

I am just suspicious enough of this “courtesy inspection” that I marked the CAF with a sharpie, showing the date of installation.

Next year, we shall see if the filter picture I am shown came from my truck…

Or not…
Could be worse... the dealership service advisor said "the technician inspected the throttle body and observed dirt on the plate" and wanted over $200 for a throttle body cleaning.

Well, I opened the hood, and saw no evidence of finger prints on the throttle body-airbox hose (since there's a layer of dirt on it), so I know the technician didn't inspect anything. Not to mention, the throttle body points at an angle down, so it would be hard to easily inspect it.

Could be worse... the dealership service advisor said "the technician inspected the throttle body and observed dirt on the plate" and wanted over $200 for a throttle body cleaning.

Well, I opened the hood, and saw no evidence of finger prints on the throttle body-airbox hose (since there's a layer of dirt on it), so I know the technician didn't inspect anything. Not to mention, the throttle body points at an angle down, so it would be hard to easily inspect it.
Yeah, this kind of thing really erodes my trust in what they say…

Just fabricating problems for the upsell?

my cousin said BMW wanted $300 to change his Cabin air filter. We just LOL'ed .

It is a 1 minute job to.
Probably not even done by a certified mechanic, but a kid hired cheap to do oil and filter changes.

Next time just for curiosity sake, ask the question, is that a fully accredited tech working on my vehicle?
“That’s not who performs our $19.95 oil change services but for (insert labor rate here), I can get one on it for you sir!”

See how easy of a fix that is!

“That’s not who performs our $19.95 oil change services but for (insert labor rate here), I can get one on it for you sir!”

See how easy of a fix that is!

For a $19.95 oil change nobody should complain about anyone or anything doing it lol.

I keep reading about $100 plus oil changes, and I cringe knowing that the kid doing them is paid dirt wages to.

Are you actually expecting the truth?

Yes.

I was at a chevy dealer last year, there to pick up a friend who was dropping off her vehicle for a recall.
Since I was standing there near the quick lube area I asked a guy who was working on a pickup about himself.
He had never worked on a vehicle before in his life, until a month before that, and he was making minimum wage, servicing customers vehicles now.
Made me cringe.

Back