Dayco molded lower radiator hose poor quality

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Ordered a Dayco molded lower radiator hose for a project Lexus GX 470 I am working on. Nothing was "wrong" with the OEM hose, but the OEM hose is 18 years old, and the hose is very hard to replace, so made the decision to replace the hose while I was replacing the radiator. I forgot to order the OEM hose, so was able to find a DAYCO molded replacement.

A visual inspection compared to the original OEM didn't look great, but decided to install the Dayco. The Dayco was to big and caused a "collapse" of the hose, and also ran into the radiator fan. I trimmed to Dayco, but the collapse of the hose still remained, plus the touching or near touching of the radiator fan remained.

I had no choice but to order a OEM hose (or to reinstall the original). Put the OEM replacement in, everything is fine. The caused a two day delay, as the Toyota dealer did not stock the part, I also had to drain the radiator again, etc.

I will not be ordering Dayco replacement parts going forward.

The below picture is of the 18 year old OEM, the new OEM, and the Dayco hose (with the Dayco part number sticker showing).

PXL_20230428_005603570.jpg

Had the exact same issue a few years ago with a Continental hose.

I try to just stick to OEM hoses from now on. For my Nissan's there not really even that much more if I order online.

I know with the 2az-fe (scion tc) engine, the lower hose from Toyota has a sleeve on it to protect it from any debris flung from the drivebelt. Aftermarket does not have this hard sleeve on the hose. Price is about the same between aftermarket and Toyota.

I know with the 2az-fe (scion tc) engine, the lower hose from Toyota has a sleeve on it to protect it from any debris flung from the drivebelt. Aftermarket does not have this hard sleeve on the hose. Price is about the same between aftermarket and Toyota.
interesting /
sometimes it's the little things which can make a big difference /

Not only did they not bend it correctly, they also missed a whole section of a bend. There's no way in heck that would ever fit.

yes, exactly. I noticed that with Toyota, they seemed to have thought about the application and what the part needs to last awhile..

I've never heard of a radiator hose failing on any modern car unless it was related to accident damage.

Once in a while there is a fit problem with any aftermarket hose. Dayco has always worked out for me. They appear better (thicker) than Gates and I just don't like paying a high price for an OEM branded hose.
Looks like someone did a hack job on the Dayco.

Last edited:
Not even close. When possible I try to take the original hose in with me. Even when buying hoses for the 1978 K5, there are a lot of "interpretations" of what a hose should be.

Is that Dayco or Gates?
Great catch, I stand corrected. Thank you.

The hose is a Gates, not Dayco.

I can't edit the post, wish I could, sorry for the error.

Stay young my friends. The catching of my error is just one of many examples of why BITOG is a master mind group!

Last edited:
That hose doesn’t even look close.. wonder if it was mislabeled. I’ve had good luck with gates hoses myself.

Some reviews on Amazon echo your experience, but the majority are good. Also I Gates hoses are priced very well on Amazon..

Last edited:
I've never heard of a radiator hose failing on any modern car unless it was related to accident damage.
On the 2005 Gx470, the radiator cover, and the fan and clutch have to be removed to replace the lower radiator hose. The OEM hose was 18 years old, I keep my stuff forever, thought it was prudent to replace the lower hose while replacing the radiator.

The upper hose is very easy to replace, I am not replacing the upper hose.

Back