Daughter's trip to JiffyLube

Does she have a Mavis nearby? They do my fleet vehicle (Ford Escape.). They do a really good job. In South Caroline I think they charge about $75 for a synthetic oil change and tire rotation.

Honestly in todays world, with everything as expensive as it is, I think it would be tough to do a synthetic oil change with a decent filter and still actually make a profit after paying wages, building expenses, disposal and on and on.
I do my own for a variety of reasons but I also acknowledge that people performing services on my behalf typically arent running a charity.

That $109 cost is to do the Oil Change itself. Not for just the oil.

And, like you mentioned, they have a $30 off coupon. A $79 oil change is a decent deal anymore in my area for people that don't/can't change their own oil.

I still don't understand why Jiffy Lubes are in business. So many reports of being shady and they upsell worse than the dealerships. Mavis is horribly crappy here as well. There are a few Valvoline shops that I was told by independents are decent. They actually push work to them if they are too busy for just an oil change.

Walmart?!? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Never, ever again...3 hours for an oil change.

Perhaps a MityVac might allow your daughter to do every other oil change service? Of course the MityVac does not work on all vehicles, but if it does oil changes, without filter changes, are safe and a snap.
I will work on training her son. I think he is is a little over 10.. Ripe age to learn about cars.

You're forgetting one thing. Jiffy Lube's main business is doing oil changes so it charges what it costs them in labor, materials and overhead. A dealer or repair shop charges $29.99 which is their cost, or less, just so they can find other work that your car needs and are hoping you will have them do it while it's there.
You go to Iffy Lube often, you’ll need to go to the dealer to fix what JL BROKE!

I like our local Mazda dealer for my daughter’s Mazda. Their prices are what I would call reasonable, and I trust their service department.
She dropped her car off recently for a set of RT45’s (they’re storing her studded winter tires) and an oil change. The RT45’s weren’t in due to a shipping error, so they provided a 2024 Mazda3 loaner for two days rather than inconvenience her. When she picked her car up it was washed and vacuumed. Great service.

I will work on training her son. I think he is is a little over 10.. Ripe age to learn about cars.
I'm going to start working on my grandson. He's 12. We'll start with the lawn mower next weekend. I'll teach him to sharpen the mower blade and put string in the string trimmer too.

If I train him well, he may be doing jobs for me (ie properly) when I get too old to do them myself. If someone is interested they just need someone to show them how, and then watch as they do a job a few times to make sure they're doing it right. One thing that really stops many beginners is doing a job wrong, and then getting blamed.

In medicine we say "see one, do one, teach one." Learning to do tasks isn't quite as simple as that but it's the right idea.

I had numerous company vehicles with a gas and service card. I had a JL and Valvoline shop that I went to regularly. They always did a good job and treated me well. I think it depends on the local mgmt. as to whether they are good or not.

I like our local Mazda dealer for my daughter’s Mazda. Their prices are what I would call reasonable, and I trust their service department.
She dropped her car off recently for a set of RT45’s (they’re storing her studded winter tires) and an oil change. The RT45’s weren’t in due to a shipping error, so they provided a 2024 Mazda3 loaner for two days rather than inconvenience her. When she picked her car up it was washed and vacuumed. Great service.
I’ve never owned a Mazda but always here good things about their dealer service.

If I had to take my car somewhere for an oil change, I'd take it to Walmart long before Jiffy Lube.

There's no shame in using a quick lube place. Although, it's probably a good idea to know how to check things over before you leave the lot.

rwkaynhp8paa1.jpg

As a data point, the Volvo Dealer in Salt Lake City charges my daughter about $100 for a synthetic oil change with genuine Volvo filter. Volvo dealers are not known for their low costs. I would suggest dealer next time for your daughter. Or a good independent that will take your Walmart oil and not charge too much. Al’s Volvo Service in Salt Lake, for example…
That's the same price for a 3.5 EcoBoost at the Ford Dealer in Draper. I have mentioned this several times-They bill at $250.00/hour.

Convincing a woman to do something she doesn’t want to do. Something I’m sure every man here is skilled at. Should be a breeze. 🙄
Lol, not sure I saw anywhere that she doesn’t want to change her own oil, maybe I missed it. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not particularly fond on doing the dishes, scrubbing a toilet or ironing my clothes but I know how to do all of the above. Come to think of it my wife isn’t particularly fond of either of those three tasks either but I know she does all three. :unsure:

As a data point, the Volvo Dealer in Salt Lake City charges my daughter about $100 for a synthetic oil change with genuine Volvo filter. Volvo dealers are not known for their low costs. I would suggest dealer next time for your daughter. Or a good independent that will take your Walmart oil and not charge too much. Al’s Volvo Service in Salt Lake, for example…
Another data point, the Lexus dealer in the Philadelphia area charges $92 for a 6qt synthetic oil/filter change and u have to wait an hour. With a Fumoto engine drain ball valve, I turn the lever, have a 20 minute lunch and then swap in the new oil filter. Done in a total of 30minutes with a material costs of $32 (Pennzoil Ultra + Fram Ultra filter). I spend most of time draining the old back into the 5qt jug. Lol

Back