CV Axle Nut - Torque with wheel on ground or in air ?

I had to replace a front wheel hub/bearing on my 1993 Ciera (GM - A body) yesterday. I put the axle nut back on with the air impact rattling it on good and tight to get the car on the road (and to get me out of the July heat index of ~100F).

Now I want to adjust the axle nut to the factory specs. which is 103 ft./lbs. plus 20 degrees. My question is can I loosen that nut a bit and then do the factory tightening procedure with the tire still on the ground, or should it be done with the tire in the air (or doesn't matter)? (I searched the forum and couldn't find anything related to the question.)

I also had a 93 Ciera! Miss that car.

I've only ever installed axle nuts with a few "ugga duggas" and never experienced any issues, and I keep my cars til they're ready for the scrap heap. But yes If you want to loosen and retorque it's fine either way in the air or ground.

Doesn't matter. FWIW, they're torqued at the factory "in the air"...
I was gonna say....for the flat rate tech it's much faster if you can do it while still on the lift.

Ok, maybe not MUCH faster but minutes can count, plus I'd argue it's harder on your body to do it on the ground.....speaking as someone who's already had one back surgery.

So I'd guess 99% of shops do it unweighted in the air

With the rotor on and brake caliper mounted up, stick a screw driver in one of the rotor vent holes. It will hold everything stationary when you torque it with wheel off.

Back